windows update failed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looked at post36 link.
Tried the "Fix it" download.
It did nothing. I did not get the screen to input info.
Tried update again from the programs menu. No.
Tried again from the update icon. no.

Powered down last night.

Restarted this morning.
On restart AVG should automatically becomes active again. That was the option I chose last night.

Tried update icon. no.

Right click on icon and clicked on "properties". Saw a weired location (%windo%), but it took me to the correct directory.
Double clicked on wuapp.exe.
It ran and screen showed 1 update available and 1 optional available, but the screen shot off, not to be found.
Clicked on the desktop update icon and it ran. Straight into windows update window and started the scan. Came back saying 59 updates and 5 optional.
I accepted one optional. Took 7 minutes to download the 302.3MB of updates
Currently installing updates. Screen shows installing 2 of 60. It's been doing that for 8minutes!

I will let it sit for a while. Now installing 31 of 60 - GOOD.

BTW
I am on the XP3 PC at the moment.

44minutes to complete the update and install.
Restart proved to be successful.
re-tried updates icon - works. Tells me there are 4 optional updates available.
Silverlight is one, Should I update Silverlight.

It appears that going into the location directory and double clicking on wuapp.exe did something to "sort" the problem.

Hi AndrewT nice to see it's almost fixed.
Silverlight is an optional Microsoft software component.
I don't install it as I don't use IE. It could be installed if some apps ask for it...
IMHO it's a very optional component I don't really care.

As I can see your trouble is around shortcut.
Typing "wuapps.exe" is the straight way to run the app vs double clik on desktop shortcut...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.