diyAUDIO standards committee - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2008, 03:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default diyAUDIO standards committee

With all the knowledge and wisdom in our community is it possible to iterate to a best-implementation guide in each of our areas of interest. What I mean is, a better way to amass all our small inputs into THE way to do it, as endorsed by the whole community.

It's almost the opposite of the forum now where all new knowledge gets dissipated into an ever growing field of babble.

This is not meant in any way as a criticism of the forum; quite the opposite - I see the quality of the discussions every day, in every thread. What I'm thinking is a structure where the best agreed practice for op-amp active crossovers, full range open baffle, and how to veneer, vented cabinet design, sealed, tubed, digital, each specialty presents best practices in the top level “forums” view and the discussion fans out from there. There just needs to be a way of capturing nuggets of wisdom from the river of threads; i.e. a chairperson for each discipline.

All the other international standards run on volunteers (albeit corporately sponsored)
???
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Seems totally hopeless to me, as the "best implementation" depends on ones priorities, and frankly on different audio belief systems that seem to flourish. From a purely technical and engineering based viewpoint, one can argue the benefits or weak points of a given circuit, but when it comes to sound quality...

Of course if you believe, as I do, that below a certain level of distortion and other performance measurements, that all circuits sound the same, best implementation gets a bit easier, but I don't expect people with other beliefs to go down without a fight!
Old 22nd February 2008, 04:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It would be a never ending crusade in every direction - and that's why we're all here right?

I'm challenging a better way of capturing all the pearls of wisdom that float through this forum on a daily basis.
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:22 AM   #4
GK is offline GK  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

This is a fantastic idea. What this place needs is a moderator who is totally unbiased, stern, but nice and always polite – me.

Achtung!
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:42 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you find a thread whose contents you feel deserve the effort required to reduce it down to its essence, feel free to save the thread out as text, edit it and place it into the WIKI.

dave
Old 22nd February 2008, 07:12 AM   #6
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the wiki could become useful - if there were a way to "inline" diagrams - this is a engineering based hobby and technical drawings are absolutely required
Old 22nd February 2008, 08:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G.Kleinschmidt
This is a fantastic idea. What this place needs is a moderator who is totally unbiased, stern, but nice and always polite – me.

Achtung!
*puts on "Schultz" costume*

Jawohl mine commandant!

We do have some standards already here. Most are basically common sense, like use an isolation transformer for line-opped stuff.

Or is this not what you guys are thinking?

Cheers!
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:19 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Peer review is pretty powerful, and the open nature of a forum does provide that, assuming the reader is willing to figure out which "reviewers" know what the hell they're talking about.
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:54 AM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

That's what the Wikis are for.
Who's volunteering to fill one or two of the dozens of gaps in that potentially enormous resource?
Old 22nd February 2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Sounds totaly counter to the evolution of new ideas....

If you want that environment, go to university or something....

Many people here (the majority) are not qualified audio engineers, but may have a lifetime of skills in a host of sundry activities linked to the construction of DIY items...

Metal workers
Wood workers
Etc...

Hide this!Advertise here!