DIY Active 5.1 Computer Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I would like to build a 5.1 active computer speaker system that would rival commercial products such as the Klipsh Promedia 5.1. Sub woofer is not necessary because I have neighbours to be concerned about. Has anyone built anything like this or know of plans, please let me know.

Things I had in mind:

Small
Needs to be beside monitor - so shielded or has a low magnetic field.
External power amps- possibly tiny monoblocks.
Plugs into 120 AC
Great sound for music. <-- most important
Price <-- should be lower than buying off the shelf.
5.1 (Sub optional)
Parts are easy to find.
Coolness factor -- should make any DIYer go "Cool"

Decoding AC 5.1 would be a bonus but not nessary since my sound card has 5.1 analog out plus digital out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JamesC

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well, first you must realize that you wont be able to do it for as cheap as you would be able to buy it. You can easily make the speakers using the TangBand W3-871S in smallish sealed enclosures (4" cubed or so). I would also go with a TB for the sub. I would go with the W8 long excursion subwoofer. Then use the small sub amp from Apex Jr for it. Build yourself some gainclones for all of the satelites. One for each one. For computer speakers you can get by using a 12-0-12 5A transformer or somthing (can usually be had for 10 bucks or so) get cheap cheap parts for the caps and resistors, and get simple clip terminals, and come up with a crafty way to take a single cord from the computer to the amp box (use CAT5 or somthing like that). I would guess you could get this all done for about 200 bucks or so. If you want to spend a little more, put a zobel on all of the satelites (Resistor paralleled with inductor, all in series with speaker) this will take out alot of the harshness and give you a meatier lower midrange.

-Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.