used psu for PCs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2008, 02:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default used psu for PCs

I've picked up a few old psu disposed by my friends because they switch to hight power ones. I am using a tower case (space won't be a problem) so I am wondering if I can make use of these (asuming that they are still working). I have solutions for ventialtion, turn-on switch, A/C inputs, is there anything I should be concerned about? I would properly use this (if it can be used at all) extra psu (~200w as advertised) to supplied power to the HDD and DVd drives, would that leave more power to the main psu for other equipments?

Other problems that I have in mind but need some advice :

1. Grounding
2. Interference

If these can be solved, I might save Mr. Earth by not dumping away 1 useable psu .
Old 20th February 2008, 06:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windo...on-button.html

http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1

Those articles show you two ways of rigging a second power supply. Yes, powering the drives from a separate power supply is safe and useful, and could provide a more stable system if your main supply is <=300W or so.

Grounding shouldn't be an issue - think about it, what's different between the way this one will work and the original? Nothing except the method used to power it up.
Old 20th February 2008, 06:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I am thinking of a CNC drilling machine to help doing my audio amp. pcbs. Would that be a simple project?

Tks
Old 20th February 2008, 06:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

sorry, reading 2 posts at the same time. Deposit reply to the wrong one.

Hide this!Advertise here!