Mac Mini Arrived this afternoon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
and here I am on diyaudio 45 minutes after I open the box. the only hangup was 20 minutes of fiddling with the screen refresh rate to make it talk to the tv.
And that was with setting up wireless keyboard, mouse and internet connection.

Incredible.
I'd still be trying to get explorer to see past my router if this was a PC

Yes of course, this is only for testing purposes. I still have 4 Microsoft machines in the house. They are pretty much file servers at the moment.

Next is ASIO drivers, then the USB TV tuner.
Once my amp arrives I can tidy things up. Satellite receiver, Mac, DAC, Amp and display. No huge stack of equipment and big black AV receiver for me any more.

My first computer was a C64 - the round grey one. then with PCs I stuck with MS apart from a brief dabble in OS-2 version 2, I still remember loading that massive stack of floppy discs. There is a machine I maintain at work that took me three days to figure out that the dongle driver will only work with NT.
Drivers for my DAC were uncompressed and installed in about 20 seconds.

The mac is quieter than I thought it would be, I need to be about 40cm from it to hear it, and even then only from the back.

What should I use for bit perfect playback on a mac? Is Itunes ok? I can't even find the output options on it.

OzMikeH said:
and here I am on diyaudio 45 minutes after I open the box. the only hangup was 20 minutes of fiddling with the screen refresh rate to make it talk to the tv.
And that was with setting up wireless keyboard, mouse and internet connection.

Incredible.
I'd still be trying to get explorer to see past my router if this was a PC
My iMac 24" was connected to the net after 5 minutes :nod:

(I have also Windows Vista installed on my Mac)

Mac vs. Windows setup is a very unfair comparison. Of course everything works out of the box for a mac; the manufacturer makes both the software AND the hardware.

Windows has no idea what kind of hardware it will end up loaded on, so naturally there will be extra steps needed to install the hardware. If you can't get connected to the net in under 5 minutes with a new windows install, then maybe you should ask a local 5th grader for some help.

I don't care for the "THX 1138" style environment Apple tries to force on it's customers. Flexibility is more important to me then being hip and sterile.:smash:

OzMikeH said:
Itunes is driving me nuts.
I have a USB hard disk full of my music on WAV.
It appears Itunes wont play it without importing it. so I'm looking for a new player.

I am keeping my PCs for proper computing, the mac is a media centre.

Be careful, the iBorg have already begun to assimilate you. All your choices will then be made for you by the iBorg leader Captain iJobs. Resistance is futile.

Stay aboard the Starship Microsoft where free will still exists!!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This stuff is funny. My daughter tried to install our networked printer on her MAC. The idea of having to know what an IP address is is alien to the MAC world I guess. The little STOP icon reminds me of Jiri Trnka's "The Hand" where a giant gloved hand symbolized totalitarianism.

Cal Weldon said:

Well, you'll spit the dummy with me as my iMac is an XP machine. One day Leopard may be removed so it's not dual boot.

I bought mine just before Christmas and all nice and pretty with the idea of going with mac apps etc and giving Microsoft the flick. Within a week I thought what can I do with this thing bar play around with some of the nifty stuff. It turns out to be very limited on apps I need so off to boot camp and add XP. XP now runs better than it did on my PC and quicker than Leopard.

I now have more respect for XP which loves the hardware. Leopard is certainly bloatware... nice face but shame about the legs..... how many Gb for an operating system? :eek: The mail client is a joke, Mighty Mouse is useless and I tried iWorks just because and it's hopeless plus clunky file imports and exports. I don't think these developers have ever used a word processor or spreadsheet.... but that's not Apple's game I suppose.

Support in Oz isn't really brilliant and finding information on more than the basics is not easy other than browsing heaps of forums and wasting a lot of time. That startup sound that can't be shut off without 3rd party software! :xeye:

I can see the iMac being great for those who do a lot of graphics or midi as they seem more suited to that. I believe they are a hit in the music industry and I think were big in publishing (still?).

But saying that, the hardware is really nice and great not to have fans buzzing away, nice small footprint, aluminium housing looks great, brilliant keyboard (works in XP guys so get one), OK monitor for LCD (forget about what Apple say about the viewing angle). Sort of a notebook for guys with big fingers and poor eyes. :)

Haven't regretted the purchase as it is a very nice machine and a PC would cost around the same. My problems or disappointments are software related only.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
scott wurcer said:
This stuff is funny. My daughter tried to install our networked printer on her MAC. The idea of having to know what an IP address is is alien to the MAC world I guess.

Strange. I have a mixed network, with both PCs and Macs. I had a laser printer set up using the XP desktop as a printer server. I then bought a network card for it and had my Macs connecting to it with about 2 minutes work on each. It took ten minutes with my XP laptop, and about 2 hours with the desktop, as it refused to acknowledge that it wasn't directly connected anymore. I had to delete all the drivers and do a XP reinstall to get it working.

I managed to force Itunes to create a new library on my USB hard disk. It is a 300G drive with 60G free.
Should be plenty of space for a database, right?
Itunes isn't happy to read files, it wants it's own copy of everything.
so here I am on song 561 of 7982 files and it is running out of space, <Cancel>
song 562 of 7982 not enough space.... ARRRGH! :smash: :smash: :smash:
Any suggestions for a program that reads files and plays them?
(Other than bootcamp and winamp/foobar)

greetings from middle east, you can go to advanced under itunes preference and uncheck 'copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library'

OzMikeH said:
I managed to force Itunes to create a new library on my USB hard disk. It is a 300G drive with 60G free.
Should be plenty of space for a database, right?
Itunes isn't happy to read files, it wants it's own copy of everything.
so here I am on song 561 of 7982 files and it is running out of space, <Cancel>
song 562 of 7982 not enough space.... ARRRGH! :smash: :smash: :smash:
Any suggestions for a program that reads files and plays them?
(Other than bootcamp and winamp/foobar)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.