Your Favorite Headphones - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2008, 08:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to despotic931
Default Your Favorite Headphones

I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-V600's, but I am looking to upgrade. So, tell me what you use, and why you like them. I'm also interested in what others you've tried and didn't like and why you didn't like them. I'm basically hungry for opinions and information, so feed me! Hehe My price ceiling is $600.00...

Thanks,
-Justin
Old 9th February 2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'm still very happy with a 25+ years old Beyer DT990Pro.

/Hugo
Old 9th February 2008, 08:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have no answer for your question, but back when we had a store that stocked about every headphone ever made, I listened to a bunch. They had a lot of Sony's, and I found the MDR-V4 that I still use, better than most. No doubt your V600s are pretty good. My only real complaint is that every so often the fake leather ear pads have to be replaced, with shipping costing more than the pads. It's also hard to have really extended bass from a non-sealed headphone. IMO, if you're going to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, throw out the budget and get good electrostatics. That's the only design I've listened to that's way superior to about every dynamic. Also, if you don't already have one, build a good headphone amp to take advantage of the good phones.
Old 9th February 2008, 09:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

STAX Lambda Pro or 404.
Old 9th February 2008, 09:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've used the Sony 600's, and I think the cheap Grado SR60's better them in just about every area. They're a little on the "hi-fi" side, and not nearly as "warm" as I like, but for $60 they're a steal. They easily beat my 240M series.

I find that sealed headphones have monotone bass that reminds me of a car I drove in high school with a cheap subwoofer in the back. In this I totally disagree with Conrad above.

I've listened to some of the (non-Stax) electrostatics and they were amazing. However, they were extremely uncomfortable and the cups had deflated a certain amount so they didn't sit on the head well.

An acquaintance of mine walked into a shop last month and told the kid at the counter that the AKG 701's were selling for $(ridiculously cheap) on ebay, and the kid matched the price. I tried them out and wow. But you'll need some serious hardware to drive them. (He using them in a professional setting). I think the needledoctor has them for $450. They are highly reviewed.

A decent source for info is headroom.com, they are relatively honest about what the products can and can't do, for a store.

*Just to fulfill my compulsion: It's "your" headphones. You're = you are.
Old 9th February 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

MB Quart "Quart Phone 95"
Click the image to open in full size. they look the same as these.
15 - 27.000 Hz 300 Ohm 96db and very comfortable.

Regards
James
Old 9th February 2008, 10:30 PM   #7
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm happy with my Sennheiser 580 headphones. I drive them off the speaker terminals of a Akai receiver that has a graphic display for repeatable bass and treble settings. I wired them up through a precision voltage divider in order to approximate the volume setting that a speaker would need. That's pretty handy for voicing speakers, just go from A to B (speaker to headphones) and back again and again to get an idea where the speakers response is different. I've never felt the need to upgrade....so far anyway

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 9th February 2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Sennheiser HD 650...they are extremely smooth and clear, without the mid-HF peaking found in many headphones. Downside for them is that I think the upper bass is too warm...in retrospect, I probably should have bought the less expensive HD 600's.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:26 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Justin,
I corrected the spelling in the title.
Old 9th February 2008, 11:49 PM   #10
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
Big speakers are better than little speakers. Great big ones are best.

And the best big ones are great!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hide this!Advertise here!