Your Favorite Headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally posted by despotic931
Thanks for the awesome reply, makes me feel a bit better about the Grado's. I would swing for the SR325's though, since those are still within my budget. One question thought, you say the Grado's make orchestral works sound cramped, is that just your SR225's or the RS-1's as well?

-Justin

The RS-1 does it as well, but to a much lesser extent. Grados, including the RS-1 give a front row perspective to the music, with large orchestral works this is not that great of a perspective, it doesn't quite sound right, everything's too close and the music doesn't come together quite right. For that genre of music, the mid-hall feel of the HD580 or K340 works better for capturing the sound of a full orchestra.

aerius said:

The RS-1 does it as well, but to a much lesser extent. Grados, including the RS-1 give a front row perspective to the music, with large orchestral works this is not that great of a perspective, it doesn't quite sound right, everything's too close and the music doesn't come together quite right. For that genre of music, the mid-hall feel of the HD580 or K340 works better for capturing the sound of a full orchestra.

Thank you very much for that input, that will rule out the Grado's as I am a fan of classical music, especially the depth that comes with it. I would like to hear the Senn's as they seem to be getting such great reviews.

-Justin

If you have the patience to do so....

I would check out the "for sale" forums on Head-fi.org for a pair of
Sennheiser HD-650's. I just recently sold a pair for $240 shipped that would have
suited you perfectly. They are fantastic headphones and were only narrowly bested by
my current stax setup(at 3 times the price!)

Failing that, follow the advice of other posters here and pick up a pair of 580's or 600's.
If you do go with the 580's you can replace the grills with 600 versions and the cable(which is detachable and easily replaced) with a 600 cable and get something very close in presentation.

good luck!

I have several sets that I regularly listen to:

My favorites for home use are Stax Lambda Pros driven by a Stax SRM-1/Mk 2. They are phenomenal, but probably out of your price range.

As I convert my vinyl to digital (using my laptop), I use a pair of AKG K701s driven by an Echo Indigo sound card. For normal listening duties, I drive them with an M3 amp that I built. The K701s are GREAT headphones and one of the most comfortable I have ever worn. I can listen to them for hours and hours. If I could have only one pair of cans, these would be it due to their versatility.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6s with Beyer cloth pad upgrades. Good phones for the money, but I rarely use them any more. They are not, nor were they ever, very comfortable.

For iPod listening I usually use a pair of Stax S-001MK2 headphones. When mobility is an issue I use V-moda Vibes.

I would recommend you get the AKG K701s. You can buy them for $240 + shipping on the popular auction site.

Bill

rdf said:
K701s here too. I've used 141s and 240s at work for over 20 years. Don't let the sound of the 240s fool you, the 701 is a very different set of phones. Others in the current stable include a set of 1984 600 ohm AKG 240s and Sony MDR-7506.

hehe, 7506's the studio defacto standard...

Thanks for the input everyone, looks like it's between the AKG 701's and the Senn 600's/650's

This thread has been a great help so far, and more input is welcome! Tax returns are on there way!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.