Your Favorite Headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no answer for your question, but back when we had a store that stocked about every headphone ever made, I listened to a bunch. They had a lot of Sony's, and I found the MDR-V4 that I still use, better than most. No doubt your V600s are pretty good. My only real complaint is that every so often the fake leather ear pads have to be replaced, with shipping costing more than the pads. It's also hard to have really extended bass from a non-sealed headphone. IMO, if you're going to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, throw out the budget and get good electrostatics. That's the only design I've listened to that's way superior to about every dynamic. Also, if you don't already have one, build a good headphone amp to take advantage of the good phones.

I've used the Sony 600's, and I think the cheap Grado SR60's better them in just about every area. They're a little on the "hi-fi" side, and not nearly as "warm" as I like, but for $60 they're a steal. They easily beat my 240M series.

I find that sealed headphones have monotone bass that reminds me of a car I drove in high school with a cheap subwoofer in the back. In this I totally disagree with Conrad above.

I've listened to some of the (non-Stax) electrostatics and they were amazing. However, they were extremely uncomfortable and the cups had deflated a certain amount so they didn't sit on the head well.

An acquaintance of mine walked into a shop last month and told the kid at the counter that the AKG 701's were selling for $(ridiculously cheap) on ebay, and the kid matched the price. I tried them out and wow. But you'll need some serious hardware to drive them. (He using them in a professional setting). I think the needledoctor has them for $450. They are highly reviewed.

A decent source for info is headroom.com, they are relatively honest about what the products can and can't do, for a store.

*Just to fulfill my compulsion: It's "your" headphones. You're = you are.

I'm happy with my Sennheiser 580 headphones. I drive them off the speaker terminals of a Akai receiver that has a graphic display for repeatable bass and treble settings. I wired them up through a precision voltage divider in order to approximate the volume setting that a speaker would need. That's pretty handy for voicing speakers, just go from A to B (speaker to headphones) and back again and again to get an idea where the speakers response is different. I've never felt the need to upgrade....so far anyway :D

Best Regards,
TerryO

use ?

hi!

in fact, I got two 'cans;
a Sennheiser HD650 and a Beyer Dynamic DT770M

The Sennheiser is for serious listening, really the best
there is to my ears. Nothing more I could possibly want.

But since it's completely open (the back, that is)
all noise surrounding you comes right through!

so, for listening "on the road" (e.g. traveling by train or plain)
or some occasionally club mixing, I bought the Beyer.

Beyer Dynamic claims the "M" version blocks outside noise
by 35dB, but I think it's really something like 25dB.
Still, it's darn quiet in there !

OK, the Sennheiser got all the finesse the Beyer hasn't,
but it's just my point of the particular use.

The Beyer isn't a bad headphone, oh no, but no match for
the Sennheiser.

visit the headphone.com site; lot's of good reviews there

Oh, and;
as the sennheiser is open backed, it means your music is
coming through aswell, wich can be a problem if you use
your cans as a way of not 'annoying' others with your music
(think librairy)

cheers,

Empee

Conrad Hoffman said:
I have no answer for your question, but back when we had a store that stocked about every headphone ever made, I listened to a bunch. They had a lot of Sony's, and I found the MDR-V4 that I still use, better than most. No doubt your V600s are pretty good. My only real complaint is that every so often the fake leather ear pads have to be replaced, with shipping costing more than the pads. It's also hard to have really extended bass from a non-sealed headphone. IMO, if you're going to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, throw out the budget and get good electrostatics. That's the only design I've listened to that's way superior to about every dynamic. Also, if you don't already have one, build a good headphone amp to take advantage of the good phones.

Yes, the ear pads are driving me crazy, but the headphones have taken a bunch of abuse. I drag them to studios and such, they work great for recording as they have sealed backs. The next set I get will be used strictly for home listening for pleasure only, and I will continue to drag the 600's around with me. I also plan on building my own headphone amp as well to pair them with.

shallbehealed said:
I've used the Sony 600's, and I think the cheap Grado SR60's better them in just about every area. They're a little on the "hi-fi" side, and not nearly as "warm" as I like, but for $60 they're a steal. They easily beat my 240M series.

I find that sealed headphones have monotone bass that reminds me of a car I drove in high school with a cheap subwoofer in the back. In this I totally disagree with Conrad above.

I've listened to some of the (non-Stax) electrostatics and they were amazing. However, they were extremely uncomfortable and the cups had deflated a certain amount so they didn't sit on the head well.

An acquaintance of mine walked into a shop last month and told the kid at the counter that the AKG 701's were selling for $(ridiculously cheap) on ebay, and the kid matched the price. I tried them out and wow. But you'll need some serious hardware to drive them. (He using them in a professional setting). I think the needledoctor has them for $450. They are highly reviewed.

A decent source for info is headroom.com, they are relatively honest about what the products can and can't do, for a store.

*Just to fulfill my compulsion: It's "your" headphones. You're = you are.

I have heard a lot about the Grado's being very bright, any input on this? And I have put the 600's up against a friend of mines 240m's and will agree the Sony's out preform the AKG's, this causes me to question the 701's.

I definitely agree with you about the bass of sealed headphones, it is far from being defined, and can in my opinion become fatiguing to listen too. I think that a good pair of electrostatics will be slightly out of my price range, and to be honest the thought of all that voltage next to my head is kinda scary. Also, comfortability is a big factor to me.

I have been looking at the AKG 701's and have heard good reviews on them, I am curious to know how they compare to a set of Grado's at around the same price, such as the RS2's?

Thanks for the direction to "headroom.com", and sorry about the grammar slip up, lol the girlfriend is always giving me a hard time so I'm pretty used to it (I slip up quite often).

Cal Weldon said:
Hi Justin,
I corrected the spelling in the title. :)

Thank You :)

And to those of you that mentioned Sennheiser's I would love to take a listed to their higher end headphones, I've just never been impressed by their entry level stuff.

Thanks Guys, it's nice getting some feedback as well as opinions.

-Justin

i was happy for many years with my DT990 (not Pro version).
they wore out finally last year and i was aiming to replace them with Sennheiser HD600.
But this Christmas, I was surprised with a pair of HD595.
On my head, my old DT990 was MUCH more comfortable and had a better mid and high end, while the HD595 excelled in the low end.

mlloyd1

TerryO said:
I'm happy with my Sennheiser 580 headphones. I drive them off the speaker terminals of a Akai receiver that has a graphic display for repeatable bass and treble settings. I wired them up through a precision voltage divider in order to approximate the volume setting that a speaker would need. That's pretty handy for voicing speakers, just go from A to B (speaker to headphones) and back again and again to get an idea where the speakers response is different. I've never felt the need to upgrade....so far anyway :D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Awesome headphones...

I have these, Allesandro MS-1's, and Senn HD25 Concordes, and the HD580's are my fav. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.