Any DJ’s in the house?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What I have:
A notebook, a mixer, an amplifier and two massive speakers.

What I’d like to do:
Use the notebook as a music server, capable of feeding the mixer and be able to do pre fader listening.

…Says my neighbor, who got the notebook for his birthday.

What soft and hardware does he need, being a youngster and not having the big budget of a pro DJ?
I was thinking of a program capable of building and maintaining a music library and two external USB soundcards feeding two inputs of his mixer.

Other, better ideas?

/Hugo

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Personally I'd forget the two usb soundcards and have a look at something like a Echo IndigoDJ instead.

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoDJ/index.php

Most of the dj mixing programs have some kind of virtual mixer, so the physical mixer is probably not really that important.

Using something like the IndigoDJ you'd use one pair as the main outputs and the second for headphone monitoring the mixer. You could run both outs into the mixer, but this limits the usefulness of the mixing apps.

There are plenty of dj programs out there from free to pricey.

A quick google turned up this free cross-platform dj app f'rinstance:

http://mixxx.sourceforge.net/

I'd suggest having a look around and trying out a few different apps to see which feels right...

hope this helps...

Paul

ps this might be worth a read too:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/dj-software.ars

Netlist,

American Audio has recently released a new dual SD card player, the SDJ-1. It operates just like a dual CD player.

Each SD card can be up to 4 GB in size, so you can have enough music for a long party night without ever repeating songs.

Check out the American Audio SDJ-1 on page 74 of the current ProSound and Stage Lighting catalog, or visit www.pssl.com.

Larry

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I like the idea of that echo audio product.

I just use two cd players, a mixer, an amplifier and two massive speakers. The queueing is done through the mixer with headphones. I really like the fader function and the auto muting (15dB?) which allows the use of the mic without touching any buttons. I guess I have an old fashioned way of doing it but it works for me.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The IndigoDj card arrived today, it works fine but I'm having issues with separating the sound from the line out and the headphones.
In Mixxx, I can select master (left channel) Indigo dj 3-4 Virtual Out (Channel 1) and master (right channel) Indigo dj 3-4 Virtual Out (Channel 2) but when I try to select Outputs for the headphones (which would be Indigo dj 1-2 Virtual Out (Channel 1 & 2) it won't let me and sticks to 'None'.
This thus makes it impossible to use the PFL function, headphones and line out are both carrying the same signal.

Any takers?

/Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I’ve tried Mixxx, MPPlaya, Ots turntables, FutureDesks, ClubDj, and Virtual DJ.
Except for Virtual DJ ($$$) none seem to be capable to work with the Indigo card as planned.
Perhaps Ots could but the trial version doesn’t allow the use of multiple outputs.
I’m out of ideas but need to make this card work somehow, so more input is highly welcome. :)

/Hugo

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Netlist,

A review back in 2004 indicated that the Indigo DJ worked with OTS. Perhaps they have gone backwards in hardware support with newer releases!

While this tutorial is aimed at setting up Indigo DJ with Abelton Live!, it might be helpful to run thru the Indigo DJ config part as that is pretty generic.

http://vinkalmann.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=2

cheers
Paul

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think OTS is capable but I would have to buy it to try. As said, the demo doesn't allow PFL and the use of the second channel.

Thank you very much for the tutorial. So far, without it, I've learned that the software must be written to work with this kind of soundcard. If it ain't, your stuck. Options like using front and rear channels don't work.

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.