music and psychoacoustics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In case that your psychiatrist does not object to it, here you may discuss anything you think that influences your relationship with music. (by definition, music implies anything that is perceived by our auditory system as such. In anycase, any relationship with any girlfriend happened to be named "Music", is outside the context of this thread, and should not appear here.)

Possible discussion targets are (but not limited to):
room acoustics, records quality, any suspicion (even the slightest) that audio equipment may worsen the quality of the reproduced music, the claim that married men are suffering from one side deafness, ect, ect.
Regards
George

I had the privilege of having been able to take a two semester acoustics class.

Someone who I consider one of the Gurus on psychoacoustics taught the Second Semester: Dave Moulton.

He has a chapter on psychoacoustics in one of his books. Check it out here:

http://www.moultonlabs.com/total.htm
http://www.kiqproductions.com/

I wish he'd do a whole book on the subject; I'd by it in flash.

I have always considered the 'science of the perception of sound' to be a concise definition.

Interesting, Licklider, was working in psychoacoustics at MIT Lincoln labs, when he started to become interested in human to computer interfaces. Most insiders consider his work the true bedrock of the internet.

- yet an other glob of stuff from an anonymous gadfly.

What is it about music that makes you want to sing along?

And you dont always want to sing along with all types of music?

Is thetype of music you most frequntly listen to what you like to sing?

What would happen to your mind if you didnt always have a song in your head?

Does your personality support your music choice or does your music choice support your personality?

If you were locked in a room with a type of music you didnt like for a week, would you come out hating it even more, or after careful listening discern it to be wonderful?

How do you listen to music? Do you jump around and sing and dance, or do you sit in silence anaylizing every last bit?

If you had never heard a Hi-Fi system would you still be happy?

What would you be doing right now if you werent a music freak?

How often do you listen to music during a given day? If you didnt, are you grumpy, or there any change in your behaivor?

I have more questions, but I'm sure most of you havent even read this far.

i always want to grab my guitar and play along...

i remember i was at a concert of one of my favorite bands
(New Order) and they were playing an amazing set...
but i felt like i wasn't getting into it 100%. Then i laughed
at myself because i was longing for my guitar to play along!
I've noticed this at other concerts too... i can't sit still either,
i have to be standing - to move around. There's nothing like
a great concert from one of your favorite bands... better than
drugs.

m.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.