Human Powered System - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2008, 11:08 AM   #1
xpl1c1t is offline xpl1c1t  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Human Powered System

I see you all speak in a tongue which I can scarcely understand. BUT! I am interested in learning its complexities. So without further ado, and with a big hello to all you learned astronomers, I have a bit of mischief planned that i would like to divulge.

If possible (and dammit I say it must!) I want to build an audio platform and have it be powered exclusively by sweat. Hopefully this can be accomplished upon some sort of bike, or some other means of efficient transfer.

Essentially I need to power a digital/analog source to deliver the gospel, a mixer to disallow distraction, and speaker powerful enough to enable dance.

Perhaps i'll need to come up with an entirely new breed of platform to accomplish this. Thanks ahead of time... Bring on the suggestions, criticisms, and bewilderments!
Old 16th January 2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi,

This is what you're looking for (third item):
http://www.lw.admin.ch/internet/luft...ory/krieg.html
It was created many years ago.

Here is a more recent implementation:
http://www.econvergence.net/electro.htm
LV
Old 16th January 2008, 07:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is the hand cranked generator for military sets from WWII. There is a nearly identical piece of hardware for the AN/GRC9 radio transceiver used in WWII, Korea, and even Viet Nam, I think.

http://home.planet.nl/~meuls003/gallery/ws48.html

I_F
Old 17th January 2008, 07:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

This reminds me of the human=power competitions I watch on Discovery Channel. They're a hoot!

Generating electrical power for a poweramp maybe impractical for dance-grade SPL, unless you use a serious line array or horn though.

Cheers!
Old 19th January 2008, 08:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Direct power of a system for PA/Dance use would probably necessitate using batteries, and pedalling in advance to charge them. Direct power for a small system to listen at normal levels in a home, much more possible, but it would require some efficient speakers, and low power amps, etc. Not impossible, but definitely requires some thought about power needs, etc. Good luck! If you come up with a successful design, post pics, schematics, etc!!
Old 19th January 2008, 08:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here you go:

Human Power Generator Series

se
Old 20th January 2008, 01:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Steve,
Funny you should list the URL for windstream. They are about 25-30 miles south of me. Used to be just up the street. It's kind of embarrassing that I totally forgot about them when I posted earlier. Based upon the fact that I need exercise, and have an exercise bike, I should talk to them. Maybe I could get some SLA batteries and make myself a little power
Old 20th January 2008, 02:46 AM   #8
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy
Here you go:

Human Power Generator Series

se
Those are really overpriced. It would be much, much cheaper to DIY.
Old 20th January 2008, 03:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

After checking the website, I would agree with star882. Get yourself a decent surplus motor off of ebay, build a voltage regulator, and off you go. Well actually you don't go anywhere, it's a stationary bike at that point.

Hide this!Advertise here!