My rant about audio - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2008, 10:04 AM   #11
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I don't understand your reasoning, you were willing to pay top dollar for computer hardware, that only performed marginaly better than midrange products... (I am also a gamer and a recovered PC modding fan, although PC games have gone to the dogs, now playing old nintendo games rather on my Gameboy Advance), Although I do play some trackmania (free online raceing game) and am ranked somewhere between 30000 and 40000th on the rankings... (which goes into the hundreds of thousands even maybe millions).
Old 18th January 2008, 12:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Do it yourself

The components in $20000 amps are worth about $500.
Old 18th January 2008, 07:35 PM   #13
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: My rant about audio

Quote:
Originally posted by D_o_S
When I listened to Michael Jackson however (Billie Jean for example)...
We might be zeroing in on the source of the problem. Did you bring any recordings of music? Honestly, GIGO. The systems you heard were equally adept at revealing the low common standard of the recordings, why blame the gear or the industry? That Trunk O' Woofers suffice for Curtis James Jackson III is no argument against better gear.
Old 18th January 2008, 08:45 PM   #14
D_o_S is offline D_o_S  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I don't mean to sound harsh to the industry or blame the whole audiophile community or something...

I'm just saying I'm disappointed

I will try and build some of my own stuff though
Old 18th January 2008, 08:52 PM   #15
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Lol, likewise! Just don't toss the baby out too, trying some naturally recorded dynamic music you enjoy might be a pleasant surprise and worst case set you off on a life-long, poverty-inducing obsession. No disagreement with your solution, you're definitely in the right place.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:25 PM   #16
ccdoggy is offline ccdoggy  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ccdoggy
I too can relate. I ended up working for a custom install shop near home and through good relations with my boss got some higher priced equipment for cost. I ended up building a sub and modding another set of speakers i have. but alas right now in my life i dont have the money nor the listening room to have anything better. Stupid plaster walls.

So right now i learn and try and make my own projects.

My boss has a specifically dimensioned room for a specific set of speakers ($6,500) and they sound ridiculously good. Its a feeling that literally you are right in front of the artist during the recording. I have experienced nothing like it before in my life, this is what i aim for in 20+ years down the road.

I totally understand, i have trouble convincing myself that i need to replace my denon dvd player that I had to add a computer fan, take the cover off and drill a large vent hole in so that the chips can stay cool enough to keep playing. even with that done on hot days it locks up.
Old 20th January 2008, 04:13 PM   #17
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Now all I need is to build the loudspeakers to do it justice...

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
People buy high performance audio gear?
I did. A fortune was spent on my biggest audio upgrade yet. A bigger house.
Old 21st January 2008, 07:28 AM   #18
RAndyB is offline RAndyB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can add my two penn'orth to this. I have just paid out for the top-of-the range Hypex power amplifier modules. They cost about twice the price of my previous amp. kits/components.

Is it worth it?

I had the advantage of listening to a pair owned by another DIYAudio member, so I knew the answer before I bought.

Yes they are. How do I tell? I listen to complex music. Those who attended the UK DIYAudio Fest 2007 may recall the a capella choral music I subjected people to - the Tallis 40 part motet Spem in allium, yes - 40 people singing different parts.

Now I can hear the rest of the singers' individual voices.

So paying more for better equipment does give more, but in the ready-made market the laws of economics dictate that the price goes up exponentially as the manufacturer's cost of parts increases arithmetically - proportionally higher overheads on lower sales.

Regards,

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!