Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2008, 02:57 AM   #1
JJ77 is offline JJ77  United States
diyAudio Member

Unhappy I am so dissapointed

I have a Sony STR de-545 HT amp. I was trying to figure out the receiver's crossover frequency for the mains/subs so I could plan a new speaker system, and it looks like no matter what HT setting is used, the receiver cuts all the bass out of the mains at 300hz. That means that from 80-300hz I have nothing. Really disappointed in Sony right now.
Old 15th January 2008, 01:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Are you sure about that cut off point? What did you use to measure it. I have several Sony receivers and none have a crossover point that high. Usually, it's somewhere between 80hz & 120hz.
Old 15th January 2008, 02:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have you looked through it's settings for a large/small front speaker option? A lot of HT receivers have this and it usually effects the crossover point.

EDIT: I browsed through the manual and there is a setting for the speaker size. Check page 16 and 17 for details.

http://129.33.22.12/release/STRDE545.pdf

Strangely, there is no mention of the crossover frequencies anywhere in the manual.
Old 15th January 2008, 06:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I used a volt meter hooked up to an active speaker. Then used a signal generator and graphed the voltage from about 50-400hz. It turns out the only the center channel it cut off at 300hz. The micro speaker setting looks like a super gradual descent starting about 120 to 150 but it's hard to tell much using a volt meter Now that I think about it, I have to go back and do it again using a 10 ohm resistor. Don't know why I didn't think about the speaker impedance.
Old 15th January 2008, 06:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Did you make sure all the receiver speaker settings were set to "LARGE" per theAnonymous1's post?
Old 16th January 2008, 12:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yep, I sure did. I made a graph using "normal" speaker setting with bass boost on and off. Also made a graph for "micro" speaker setting with boost on and off. Center channel didn't matter what setting I used, but the mains were all effected. I still have to redo it with the resistor, but I am glad to know it looks normal because now I can start my speaker project.

Hide this!Advertise here!