Recommendation Needed: Table Top Light Magnifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Recommendation: Table Top Light Magnifier

Hello All,

Getting old just ain't pretty. I can't see the small stuff anymore. I know they say don't sweat the small stuff but in electronics, that just doesn't get IT done! Even with reading glasses, the details aren't always clear.:magnify: :magnify:

I see Light Magnifiers all over the Internet. They range from $40.00 USD to over $500. That's a big difference.

What manufacturers offer a great value? What are the differences and what differences matter? Hopefully your recommendations are easy to find in the US, but don't worry about that.

This is one of those things that is better to ask people with experience. There aren't any retail stores I can go to and compare. If I can get a nice one that is reasonable, maybe I can also get a Fluke (189) too! Tasty! But not the kind you eat (fish)!

It would be nice to see all those details in the diamonds again (actually the stripes on 1/8 watt Carbon Resistors that will maybe someday be a diamond. LOL)

I appreciate your help!

Thanks guys!

Regards//Keith

Too funny you should mention that!

I just had eye surgery 8 days ago and four surgeries in 94/95. The Eye Doctor/Surgeon has me look through his contraption with the holes every visit and again tomorrow I'm sure!

Amazing how that tiny little hole bends the light!

Just not gonna do the job, but I like the price! LOL

Regards//Keith

I like a 5X flip-up loupe that costs about $20. I think you can even get some that have LED lighting built in. The working distance is kind of short, but 5X is enough for soldering most surface mount components, though I find a microscope is best for fine lead-pitch ICs.

http://www.nextag.com/Collectibles-Art--zzhead+magnifiersz2702147zB6z5---html
is the sort of thing I am talking about.

I'm in dental school an recently got some custom fitted 2.5x "loupes" that are actually more like telescopes. Working distance is 18" so I don't have to get things like hot soldering irons too close to my face. They have superb optics, but they're crazy expensive (~$1k).

I'd go with head-mounted stuff because if your bench is like mine, there won't be any room for a desktop magnifier.

I_F

Actually, I use a microscope, a desk mounted magnifier light, a headband magnifier - and regular glasses! - Not all at the same time though!
The microscope is great for soldering SMDs, but that's at work..The magni-light is OK for desk work, but the thing I just can't be without is my Optivizor headband. Since I also use reading glasses, a fairly slim version, I can adjust the Optivizor to also have the glasses on, and just move my head slightly to change the view.....
Coming of age surely has it's pro'ss and con's......;)

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies! I like the idea of using all of them but the microscope as this is supposed to be only a hobby. But you never know, maybe someday!

Conrad, that's exact what I am looking for, great optics AND dirt cheap. If all of life could so good!

I_F and AuroraB, Now I have decided to get the 5X Optivisor with lights too!

Now I_F, if the Dentist School thing doesn't work out, will ya share the mini binoculars? My friend and dentist uses them and I give him hell about being blind. Then he let me look through them and now I know why he uses them. Not because he is a little older but because they work great for people with good eyes too!

BTW, I miss the chimp shaking his head. You probably got a lot of teasing about it but it is one of the best here!

Thanks again guys, that Fluke might just be a possibility (used of course)!

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:

Now I_F, if the Dentist School thing doesn't work out, will ya share the mini binoculars? My friend and dentist uses them and I give him hell about being blind. Then he let me look through them and now I know why he uses them. Not because he is a little older but because they work great for people with good eyes too!

BTW, I miss the chimp shaking his head. You probably got a lot of teasing about it but it is one of the best here!

I'd love to share them, but they were custom fitted and the spacing between my eyes seems to be somewhat narrower than most people's, so they probably wouldn't do you much good.

Chimpy may return... unless I find something else I like somewhere.

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.