Noisy pots and switches! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2001, 11:29 PM   #11
walker is offline walker  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to walker
John, thanks for the benefit of your experience, you mentioned a “light lubricating type contact restorer” could you tell me the brands that you have found that work best? I’ve been using a contact grease from the UK supplier RS Components, unfortunately they no longer sell it. I have been using it for over 10 years now with remarkable success and (not one need for re-treatment in that time). The tube ran dry and I’m looking for a substitute.

I have procured some Nye potentiometer gel, (http://www.nyelubricants.com/automotive/DS-PDF/800-ds/813S-1.pdf) not cheap and it will take at lest 12 months before I can ascertain it’s effectiveness. Has anyone used this product before?

I also bought some Nye Rheolube 737s sliding contact grease, again does anyone have experience with this?

I use a fibreglass eraser pen (the type draftsmen used to use on Indian ink) to clean oxides off contacts and pot tracks. It’s very gentle and doesn’t appear to remove any plating. A light smear with the magic goo has, in the past been a permanent end to noisy switches and pots. My customers have never complained and yes they do come back.

Hope this could be of help to others,
Regards WALKER

Old 23rd November 2001, 02:01 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Walker,

I have not used any of these types of cleaners for quite a number of years. It seems to my that I had used the Chemtronics "Kontact restorer" with good success on a good number of parts. Perhaps this link will help they have products designed for various areas of the work. I suppose due to different regulations.

http://www.chemtronics.com

The other one I used before, and I can't remember the exact spelling is called (more or less) "cramalon". Perhaps someone else can come up with the correct spelling. They have various different types of things avalable that come in small bottles and are actually quite expensive but very good. These are not spray type products.

I dislike using sprays on assembled equipment since these also coat circuit boards with oils and other unsightly residues. Then these also need to be cleaned by some method.

More times than not I was forced forced to use what was available locally.

John Fassotte
Alaskan Audio
Old 23rd November 2001, 08:49 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Walker,
Farnell stocks some pretty interesting stuffs.... contact grease, cleaners you might want to check it out...you might find what you're looking for.
Old 23rd November 2001, 09:08 AM   #14
walker is offline walker  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to walker
Cheers CP642, I'm looking at them now as I type. They are <1/10 the price of the Nye products but as a little goes a long way that's not inportant. I'll chase up the aplication notes.

Regards WALKER

[Edited by walker on 11-23-2001 at 03:10 AM]
Old 23rd November 2001, 09:51 AM   #15
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

In general, the idea is that any DC flowing through switches and pots is one of the major sources for creating pits and contact failure. As already mentioned, the only way to get rid of the problem, is to change the part.

Contacts can be cleaned, preferrably in two steps,- first with a contact cleanes that evaporates totally, to loosen the dirt, and then with a cleaner which contains some light oil, generally recommended for moving parts as switches, pots etc.
This will probably cure the problem, - at least for some time, but noisy pots will get back to old habits,- in most cases. WD40 contains a.o. graphite, and I would not use this for switches etc. It is though one of the best friction reducers in light form. One of the best for squeeking hinges....

For switches, connectors etc. that are silver plated, I have used the silver jewellery dip cleaners with excellent result. This does of course necessitate the part to be removed from the equipment.Thorough cleaning in warm water, and then contact cleaner is very important, to get away the residues of the usually rather reactive silver cleaner.

Good luck.

Hide this!Advertise here!