Can you enjoy music on a low fi system? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2003, 11:56 AM   #21
Chris is offline Chris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I agree with peterr and Audiofanatic.

When it comes to hi-fi, music sounds better with good dynamics and definition. But I`ll dig my favourite music anywhere and on almost any equipment.

Old 20th February 2003, 11:45 PM   #22
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I used to have a basic cassette player in my car, hooked up to a cheap amp and some dodgy speakers in the back shelf.

I used to play copied tapes (sometimes copy of a copy!) and enjoyed the music then as much as I do now, sometimes even more so.

It was always slightly dissappointing to buy the CD version of some ancient tape that had been played for years.

I think music is an extension of the emotions, hence all you have to do is listen and let the music move you! Fidelity is a distant second.

So yes, I think low fi is all good. Except when it claims to be hi-fi!
Old 22nd February 2003, 11:08 AM   #23
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Frame of mind

I find it's down to my frame of mind at the time. When I sit down to listen my my "proper" system, I expect it to sound pretty good, and it usually does. Conversely, when I listen to my 1970s B&O tranny radio in the workshop, I relax my expectations.

Many years ago, when I was a student, I was temporarily in a particularly relaxed frame of mind (almost horizontal) and thought that the sound of a ghastly mono record player (with crystal cartridge) was better than my Garrard 301/Decca Gold. Normality was restored the next day, but it taught me that values are not absolute and that anything sounds great after a few spliffs. (Except car radios.)

However, as mentioned in a previous post, it's easier to listen to new music on a good system than a bad one.
Old 23rd February 2003, 12:50 AM   #24
e96mlo is offline e96mlo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have noticed several times that I listen more to the music itself when it comes from a "bad" equipment than when I listen to my own setup. I catch myself looking for faults in my setup more than I listen to the actual music.

Anyone recognize that?

/Marcus
Old 23rd February 2003, 12:53 AM   #25
diyAudio Senior Member

Default CRITICAL.

Hi,

Quote:
Anyone recognize that?
Sure,you want your own system as perfect as it can get and lose the joy factor in the process.

I can relate to that...if it doesn;t play the tune anymore than something is amiss.

Cheers,
Old 23rd February 2003, 08:28 AM   #26
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Originally posted by e96mlo

"Anyone recognize that?"
==========================================

I do, I do. I would go one step further and rephrase the quote as:

"Anyone that does not recognize that?"

The sad thing is, that medical science can not heal us from the "ourownaudioequipmentperfectomania"

Regards
George
Old 23rd February 2003, 03:50 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default Absolutely NOT

You can NOT enjoy music on anything but the most expensive system available. It MUST include some wood pucks scattered about the room, some heavy pieces of stone, a few bottles of magic gravel in specially made glass bottles, hospital grade cryogenically treated single crystal silver shielded power cords, solid silver 0 ga. speaker cables with 24 kt gold lugs and teflon dielectric, a special clamp-type rack for "resonance control", a generous number of vacuum tubes (NOS, from the right manufacturers, of course), power regenerators, green pens, blue LEDs, and lets not forget the most important contributor to the sound quality, tons and tons of very expensively polished metal work.

Don't worry, you can have EXACTLY what you want, exactly when you want it. All you have to do is open your wallet and your head.

MR
Old 23rd February 2003, 07:29 PM   #28
Helix is offline Helix  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Absolutely NOT

Quote:
Originally posted by MRehorst
You can NOT enjoy music on anything but the most expensive system available. It MUST include some wood pucks scattered about the room, some heavy pieces of stone, a few bottles of magic gravel in specially made glass bottles, hospital grade cryogenically treated single crystal silver shielded power cords, solid silver 0 ga. speaker cables with 24 kt gold lugs and teflon dielectric, a special clamp-type rack for "resonance control", a generous number of vacuum tubes (NOS, from the right manufacturers, of course), power regenerators, green pens, blue LEDs, and lets not forget the most important contributor to the sound quality, tons and tons of very expensively polished metal work.

Don't worry, you can have EXACTLY what you want, exactly when you want it. All you have to do is open your wallet and your head.

MR
AND 'Altmann' Tube-o-lator
Old 23rd February 2003, 07:59 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Neutron Bob
Default TubeOMatic??

Let's not forget some of those big earmuff thingies I read about years ago in Stereophile!

I still have an uncontrollable urge to laugh when those "magic" devices were purported to be the ultimate solution to audio nirvana.

Could you imagine a couple of clients visiting the showroom, sporting big reflectors on their heads?

Hehehehehe
Old 23rd February 2003, 08:07 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Absolutely NOT

Quote:
Originally posted by MRehorst

I don't know why, but I usually enjoy music more on a simple and not expensive sytem (but reasonably musical).

When I listen to my main rig, described pretty well in the above statement, I enjoy the system and music is just an excuse.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!