Shakespeare in Bad Mood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Speaker is the most important part of an audio system.
Nothing a good amplifier can do with a bad speaker.
For a low price audio system, build a bipolar.
For a medium price audio system, build a MOSFET.
For a high price audio system, build a valve.

Shakespeare

Jay said:
Speaker is the most important part of an audio system.
Nothing a good amplifier can do with a bad speaker.

Shakespeare
I totally agree with shake-speer. The africans shake thier speers. Hunting.
-----------------------------------------------
I have once written in another thread,
that not Even a Mark Levinson Amp, sounds good in
some bad speakers.

But even a budget integrated Amplifier
will sound good with good quality drivers. (even far from high end speakers)
-----------------------------------------------
For a specific sum of money spent
it is a speaker upgrade that can make a real (hearable) difference.

and a great listening joy ...........

/halo :cool: is very careful when selecting/building his soundreproducers :cool: Good Quality Drivers, Please!

Even if the speakers is good,
Even if the amp is good,
Even if the source is extremely good,
If the ears are deaf,
If the fuse is broken,
Shekespeare still in bad mood.
Because Shakespeare,
Is talking about bottleneck,
And the weakest link in an audio chain.

Hello Jay - Care for a game of Chess ?

Profile for Jay
------------
Interests: Chess, Audio
halojoy
------------
Interests: Music, Chess & Audio
see my (alias Groman) homepage:

Groman Chess & Music Page

I play at Gameknot.com since May-2002.
You can register at http://gameknot.com/
and challenge me at http://gameknot.com/stats.pl?gromanswe

There are now 14 active players from INA, Indonesia
There are now 125 active players from SWE, Sweden

There are 9278 active players total at Gameknot.com
I am rated #66 of them.

I think you could make top 5 of the Indonesian players.
I am number 2 of the 125 swedish players.
ftp://213.100.118.115/chess_stuff/INA_03-feb19.gif
ftp://213.100.118.115/chess_stuff/SWE_03-feb19.gif

Here is my record after soon 1 year and 200 games:
ftp://213.100.118.115/chess_stuff/halojoy_03-feb19.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow it would be nice to play a game with you, Jay.
If you like you are welcome.
I can not say I get easily beaten - in chess !! :cool:

/halo - chess is a game for the peaceful & friendly
-------------------------------------------------------------
* there are now 192 active players from AUS, Australia
;) ftp://213.100.118.115/chess_stuff/

:D halojoy-gromanswe would, of course!, with margin top the Australian list :D

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I agree very much with Jay From Jakarta. Given the fact that electronics has progressed to the point where even budget equipment now puts out performance that expensive equipment did 20 years ago, the speaker is still the great variable.

About the only exception I would make would be that some modern speakers are extremely insensitive, with SPL's in the low 80's, and present reactive loads to the amp that are difficult for lower priced equipment to handle. Sometimes a great speaker demands a great amp.

As far as source goes, what are we talking about here-an old BSR turntable with a ceramic cartridge? Seriously, if your turntable and cartridge mistrack, then yes, you essentially have squat for sound. Speakers aren't going to help that. Assuming a competently designed CD or decent turntable/cartridge combo, (the latter very much an individual thing), then speakers are the big question-the Star Of The Show.

I agree with kelticwizard. The CD is not a big issue, but a turntable might be different. Not like laser pickups, cartridges are in physical contact with the data carrier. I don’t have experience with turntables, because I had assumed that for a low (to medium) price source, the CD is always better than any cartridge available. And I think the turntable will soon be obsolete, outperformed by newer laser technologies.

It is also strange (well, not really) that modern speakers are inefficient, reactive and demand high power amps (which are expensive).

Halojoy,

It has been a year since my last game in YahooChess. (I was unbeatable. :devilr: ). I played chess mostly for recreation, so I didn’t have to win in every game. But in Yahoo I created a special user for me to play with zero-defect.

Off course I’d love to play with you, if the situation permits. I don’t access the internet from home, so it depends on the network security here (Any chess program will require an (java) applet to be downloaded, which is a big security issue).

How about playing remote chess like in the ancient days? Players sent their single move in a single mail (So it took months to complete a game :dead: ). Wait, the website intro is telling me this:

What is turn-based chess? It is similar to correspondence chess, but the games are much faster and easier to play. No additional software to download, free registration, global rankings, active forums, bi-monthly tournaments. All it takes is five minutes a day! You choose when to move and how often to move, and you don't have to finish the game in one sitting. You can take your time and think about every move. Or you can do other things while playing. You can even play at work and your boss will never know that you are having fun! You can play all Java games without logging in. You need to log in to play online Chess.

Well, about making a top 5 of Indonesian players, there’s no doubt about it. ;)

I don’t play chess very often. At home or schools or anywhere I played only with the winners (First I asked who was the best around, then I challenged him. When I lost, I got back to my books, and played with myself). Mostly I played with myself or software. The in-sufficient experience made me extremely bad at fast chess (blitz, etc). But theory and intelligence positioned me in a higher level for “tournament” game (40 moves in 2 hours). So you will have to be patient playing with me. :devily:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
All the parts are important*, but ...

the smaller the signal,
the easier to lose it is

the source is most important therby
and then the electronics that deal with the small signal
and on thru to the speaker

the speaker...
most colorful of all...
the highest levels of distrotion...
but still the least important

as i find it quite amazing
how well a 1st class system
even when equipped with only modest (but good) speakers
can convey the music

a good speaker feed by an excellent signal
will be more enjoyable
than an excellent speaker only feed a good signal
(we tolerate no c#*&)

*i ignore the room

dave
planet10/ thinks the TT is the most important part of his hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.