PBS Wired Science program Analog vs Digital - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2007, 01:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PBS Wired Science program Analog vs Digital

This is strictly FYI.

This interesting video appeared on a PBS series called "Wired Science"

http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience...dio_files.html

I doubt that this will do anything to settle the heated arguments about analog vs digital recordings.

ZAP
Old 3rd December 2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting test. They were all just guessing.

But we know very little about the test - except that it was set up by Digidesign.
Old 8th December 2007, 08:13 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Slightly Flawed

Just as you would need a HD TV to see an HD signal, you need very refined speakers to hear the differences in dynamic range, frequency response, and any other benefit to be had from analog. I think they should have been using speakers instead of headphones (headphones don't really "image," they just puts the sound in your head.) Even then, they didn't mention what headphones were being used.

I really do think that lossless digital files can approach the same sound quality of an analog source, but as long as digital reproductions use sampling they will never reproduce the original recorded analog sound perfectly, technically speaking. When you convert digital data to analog sound waves, it's like making a painting by connecting the dots. And no matter how many dots you give the digital decoder (DAC) to connect, it can never be as technically accurate as something that is fed the actual waves (such as records, tapes.)

I agree that our ears may not be refined enough to hear the difference all the time, but for me there is something to be said about the psychoacoustics of just KNOWING that information is there for my ears to pick up if they're up to it.

-Dusty

Hide this!Advertise here!