Playing with SMPS...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi !!!

Today I decided to play a little with SMPS. I bought a SG3525, two IRFZ44N and I decided to have some fun with this.

First I placed the 3525 on the protoboard, so I could experiment it and see exactly how it works, how to set up its frequency and etc.

Then I placed the Mosfets, and using a resistor as load, I could see on the scope the perfect square wave :cool:

Then I grabbed some wall wart transformers on my junk box, and I found a 6+6v / 220v Xformer (500ma). I thought myself... Well, if I connect it inverse, and increase the switching frequency, I can put much more than 6+6v on it, and get much more voltage at the output.

VERY FUN, I switched the poor xformer at 500Hz (instead 60hz...) using 21V rails, and I could squeeze 880v at the output ! :bigeyes:

Afterwards, I was trying to wind some inductors with my ferrite toroid cores here, and I could sucessfully build a Step-up SMPS that seems to have GREAT efficiency. The turns ratio was 1:2, and with 15v it gave me 32v loaded (I wound some more turns at the second).

So nice, and so easy.

This last prototype was running with 50Khz, and could deliver more current than I expected. :D

I'm just sharing some fool happynes. In 6 hours of work (I NEVER had any experience with SMPS before) I could figure out MANY things and build a nice working sample.

Best Regards ! :cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.