Audio interconnectors. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
svbear is offline svbear  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Audio interconnectors.

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post, but with the huge knowledge base here, I was hoping someone might know.

here goes.

I am making custom audio cables for between my components and am not sure which is a beter choice.

Option 1,

Belden 1694A (or Canare L-5CFB/L-4CFB) with Rca connectors (single foil and braid shields) .

Option 2,

Acoustic research Pro component cables ( dual braid shields and 1 foil). If I use this one, would it be better to attach both copper braids to the ground single for high gauge quantity - or - ground the inner braid shield at both ends and ground the outer braid shield end only at the source's end to make the cable direction: using the outer braid shield to help eliminate ground loops.

I was thinking of doing this for home audio components, and possible car audio (over the monster XLN 400 series).

Any opinions?

Many Thanks,

Adrian
Old 1st December 2007, 11:32 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I tend to favour 2core microphone cable for interconnects.
Old 1st December 2007, 12:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Audio interconnectors.

Quote:
Originally posted by svbear
Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post...

Not quite, but I've moved you so no harm is done.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st December 2007, 01:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrew.

The microphone cable you tend to use, is it dual conductor wrapped in a braid shield?
I have a pair of audio cables that are twisted pair (but not shield) so they fell off the list.

I spent a lot of time reading articles, and a lot of people were prefering coaxial over dual conductors for noise reduction reasons. They said if your running unbalanced, then go with coaxial.

Is there any merit to this belief?

The canare cable was going pretty cheap on ebay, but the acoustic research used cables were even cheaper. Unless I go with their 25 foot s video cable which is 2 conductor individually wraped and shielded, then again as a pair. I figured using the braids grounded at one end and using the two pair for signal and reference.

Thanks,

Adrian
Old 1st December 2007, 01:54 PM   #5
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by svbear
The microphone cable .......is it dual conductor wrapped in a braid shield?
I have a pair of audio cables that are twisted pair (but not shield) so they fell off the list.
Microphone cable is a two core cable with shield.
Some have single lapped, other double lapped, some even have copper or aluminised foil over the stranded lap.
Use the cores as flow and return, connect the shield at one end only.

most of the two core or star quad from Rapid would be excellent for interconnect.
http://www.rapidonline.com/products....ed+Audio+Cable
@ less than 1.00/m you never need to spend a fortune on exotic cables.
Or experiment with CAT5 unscreened twisted pairs. 1000feet of 4pair for 40 (3p/m). But, not too good for flexible interconnects when it is very likely to fatigue and break the solid core copper with repeated moving/rebending.
Old 1st December 2007, 07:58 PM   #6
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Adrian,

It sounds like this is what you are making: http://signalcable.com/analogtwo.html

I believe he uses Belden 89259 Coax. Also, use the Eichmann Bullet plugs as in these Analog Twos (research the Eichmann Bullet RCA Plugs). I have them and experienced a nice awakening with my system with these cables and the Eichmanns. And you can't beat the prices unless you make them yourself (maybe). Hopefully they will be as pretty too!

You can order a pair to try and if you don't like them, he has a return policy. I also tried this Power Cord and it too made a difference.

Good luck!

Regards//Keith
Old 2nd December 2007, 02:58 AM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I like Canare GS-6 guitar cable. Works great for Hi-Fi interconnects. Designed for audio, heavy copper shield, very flexible, small minimum bend radius, tough as hell.

I used Canare mic, video and guitar cable for years in the pro world. It's hard to beat.

Andrew's idea of the mic cable with the shield connected just at one end sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try it sometime.
Old 2nd December 2007, 03:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Michael,

The Canare Guitar Cable, does it come in bulk or only as a guitar jack with 1/4" jacks at each end? Low Capacitance?

Have any extra Kona? Can you send a 50 lb bag? I'll send you 50 lbs. of NY Pizza! And maybe some bagels too!

I hope all is well!

Regards//Keith
Old 2nd December 2007, 05:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey Guys, much thanks for the info.

I like the idea of using mic cable. (time to search the house for some).

Andrew, how was your experience with using cat5? I have tons of it around the house (solid and stranded). any design ideas (how many cables to put together and what pattern).

Keith, the site is good, but I like to save bucks (towards buying a house, every nickel counts. lol).

Panomaniac, love that GS-6 cable. I just have to wait until some fool on ebay trys to sell it cheap because he doesn't know the true value of it.

Reason that I am considering component cable modification is that they are starting to sell for cheap because a lot of people are switching over to HDMI cables. Great for diyers who like to experiment.
I might try svideo cable since that is very similiar to microphone cable but with more shielding.

Adrian
Old 2nd December 2007, 05:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Adrian,

The Belden cable for 1 meter Interconnects (7 feet) would cost around $21.00 USD and the RCAs would cost whatever you choose. The Eichmann's are expensive, around $40 to 45 usd. They are worth making. I don't know if Andrew's or Pano's ideas would sound better but do some research on the Internet for "DIY Interconnects" and you will be able to shape some opinions about low cost choices. Especially when lots of people from different experiences concur on the best results using the same low cost options. You can do the same for a Cat-5 Interconnect search too.

Too much shielding (foil and braid) isn't supposed to be better, so look into that. Also Belden and Canare make coax with twin leads and shielded (not too much) for Andrew's idea. Just pay attention to Capacitance, Resistance and Inductance and make sure they are all close to optimal desired values. And use a decent RCA.

Sometimes everything looks great on paper and sounds terrible or looks bad on paper and then sounds great. The best situation is when paper and sound agree. At least you can explain why!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith

Hide this!Advertise here!