Routing aluminium? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2007, 01:03 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

You guys commented faster than I could edit.
Old 25th November 2007, 01:07 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I made a water block for a graphics card by cutting channels in a block of aluminium. No real problems apart from the chuck ? - the thing that holds the router bit had to be done up exceptionally tightly because the bit kept moving down the chuck ? as I was cutting.

I didn't use any coolant or lubricant because I didn't know I was supposed to but it turned out fine.
Old 25th November 2007, 01:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

On one occasion I ran a Kerney& Trecker 1836B horizontal mill and I was milling extruded aluminum and a young hot shot engineer wanted me to try a alcohol based coolant. As much as I tried I could not get the idea across to him that this could pose a severe problem.

To make a long story short I was forced to use this new coolant and everything went very smoothly for about 45 minutes until a fire erupted with sent a bunch of us looking for fire extinguishers.
Needless to say after repairing the damage the machine went back to its previous coolant and finally the simcool was found and tried.
Old 25th November 2007, 01:13 PM   #14
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default And everything went very smoothly...

I'll restrict my cutting time to 44 minutes, then.

Does anybody know of a water-based cutting fluid available in the UK?
Old 25th November 2007, 01:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Aluminimum routes quite nicely and good advice in the earlier posts. A few things to add.

I found that a spiral cutter seemed to run smoother and produce nicer cuts than straight cutters. If you can get them, a down spiral cutter is good because it directs the chips down and away from the router. Didn't like the idea of conductive sharp chips getting into the router motor...

Plug the router into a variac or other speed control device. Adjust the router speed for minimum vibration during the cuts.

I made jigs out of plywood that were bolted to the aluminimum by the mounting holes of the device that the hole was for. An example to clarify- my IEC plug jig bolts to the aluminimum plate by the 2 holes that the IEC plug will be mounted by. This seems to work well and takes care of clamping issues. This also keeps the router off the aluminimum so you don't get swirly scratches on the plate and/or scratch up the base of your router.

So far I have only cut holes in aluminimum. Not tried doing a rebate so far...

A way of making jigs for odd shaped parts...

For making jigs for odd shaped holes to fit a part, oval oil filled capacitors to name one... Make a base plate for your router that is 2x your bit diameter larger than the "stock" router base plate. In my case where the cutter is 1/4" the base plate for the router is is 1/2" in diameter larger that the "stock" base plate.

With the original base on the router, clamp odd shaped part to a piece of 1/2" plywood, run the router around odd shaped part cutting through the 1/2" plywood. Glue, screw or other wise attach a thin piece of plywood to the back side of the plywood you just cut the odd shaped hole into. Now put the larger base on the router and run the router around the inside of the jig. This should cut a hole that is the same size as your odd shaped part. Drill the mounting holes for the part in the jig and you are ready to go...

In my case I made 2 new bases for the router as the "stock" base was an odd size that did not land on a nice 1/16" increment that would work with the Jasper circle jig.
Old 25th November 2007, 01:54 PM   #16
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
...and a young hot shot engineer wanted me to try a alcohol based coolant.

Don't like doing new thing do you?
Old 25th November 2007, 02:29 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Don't like doing new thing do you?
I have no respect for those with a degree and no practical experience. Being older I am set in my ways....ways that work.
Old 25th November 2007, 02:31 PM   #18

Thanks for all the thoughts everybody. Coolant will be used, as will caution and a trammel. I'll look out for a spiral cutter, too.
Old 25th November 2007, 03:19 PM   #19
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FESTOOL-SPIRAL...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 25th November 2007, 03:38 PM   #20

Thanks for the effort, Poynton, but my router needs 1/4" shafts. I expect I can find them at some point. Meanwhile, I need to decide how everything else is to be done.

Hide this!Advertise here!