Barium titanate ultracapacitor claims

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reading some news on capacitor theme, i've noticed a claim, made by company EEStor on producing a 30F, 3600V capacitor, weighing 160kg, aimed at electric car market. Description tells about using selected size high purity barium titanate granules, coated in glass and aluminium oxide, as a dielectric with dielectric coefficient of over 30k. It was criticised, with following cons:
1. EEStor is delaying production of it's caps
2. EEstor is highly secretive about it's progress
3. Such a dielectric would polarise greatly, reducing effectiveness.
4. Coating would reduce dielectric constant greatly.
5. A patent on barium titanate caps has been issued in 1985, and it seems to be that some ceramic caps do indeed use it.
However, there are some pros.
1. Barium titanate hasn't been researched well until recent times.
2. Similar patents have been made by BASF, Panasonic, and Philips.

Here is BASF patent. Also, i have found a research on barium titanate, stating that particles of high purity and select size have a sharp increase in dielectric constant up to about 35k, while having extreme breakdown resistance, writtek just in 2005.

So, i'd like to ask, are there people having some familiarity with that info, and particularly, barium titanate itself? If this comes true, then the possibilities are quite miraculous..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.