lower impedance of ps transformers - audio quality - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2007, 10:37 PM   #1
velicko is offline velicko  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default lower impedance of ps transformers - audio quality

Newbie question:

How does lower output impedance of the transformer in power supply affects on sound quality of the audio power amplifier?

There will be two mono blocks with separate power supplies. So, initially one transformer per channel.

If there is more gain than trouble, would it be good to put two parallel transformers per channel instead of one per channel to get lower output impedance of the transformers... ?

I could get high quality E transformers carefully made by my request, so they could be identical (or almost identical .
Old 17th November 2007, 03:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The lower the inpedance of a transformer the higher the current capacity. A bigger transformer can reduce sag but only to a point. I would just go with a transformer that is able to supply twice the current you need, any more will just add weight.

Edit: For example if you have a 100ohm 100volt transformer it will be able to deliver 1 amp at 100 volts.

Hide this!Advertise here!