So one of my studio monitors is broken, need some help...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The other day somehow a neutral wire in the conduit in one of my house walls burned out and because some idiot didn't wire the house correctly, it ended up sending 220V through half of the house circuits. Well I got an electrician to fix the wiring, but now some appliances in the house aren't working (microwave is burnt out, some other stuff). Most notably, my Behringer B2031A studio monitors. When the wiring problem occurred, there was a very loud blast of a buzzing noise that came through the speakers. Upon turning on the monitors again (at 110V) one speaker had a burnt electrical smell, the other speaker works fine. Also the burnt speaker when it is turned on, it keeps making a loud buzzing noise and the bottom 6.5" woofer gets sucked inward. I'm guessing something might be wrong with the amplifier. From what I read there are two amplifiers in this monitor, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer.

So is there any way for me to troubleshoot and maybe fix the speaker?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I'm fairly sure that they will use chipamps, but it's also fairly likely thay use SMT components as well, so not a job for a beginner. Have you had any experience at building or fixing kit/ soldering before?

Oh, and is there any reason you can't claim for the repair on your household insurance? It should cover that sort of thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.