DIY Anodizing in Toronto - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2007, 03:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Anodizing in Toronto

Hey all,
well, after calling around Toronto to see how much it would cost to get a couple heatsinks and the front piece of AL plate anodized (+200$!!!) I am thinking to try it out myself. There seems to be a plethora of information out there and it looks like a good project to try out.
If anyone in the GTA is interested in getting something anodized (and helping out) let me know.
Mantisory
Old 7th November 2007, 01:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 7th November 2007, 02:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Mantisory
Have you looked at www.caswellcanada.ca
they have all the diy anodizing and plating supplies and info.
Goodluck
BD
Old 7th November 2007, 02:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yeah, that stuff is even more expensive (their kits i mean).
I have found someone to lend me a rectifier (12V/10A), and i am picking up battery acid today...so now i just need to get some dyes and some buckets to do it in and i am ready to go...
Old 7th November 2007, 02:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

I look forward to progress reports.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 7th November 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default anodizing

Not too difficult... try to get "clean" battery acid (not brown dirty looking stuff) or it may not take the dye ...

Typical conditions 15% H2SO4, 20 asf ~ 20 minutes or so... run as constant current (let the voltage increase holding current constant)... can be done AC or DC (anodic(+) if DC) 12 volt supply may not be high enough voltage to get a decent thickness... more typically 24 - 36v for decent film growth, if I recall

What color(s) are you looking for?

also, the dyeing usually is done hot, and needs a sealer (boiling water acidified with acetic acid) to seal up the pores.

Disclaimer: This is an informational only post, not intended for production and or processing of any hardware or parts.

JJohn L.
Old 7th November 2007, 03:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I am not sure what color i want yet...i have heard that a real good dark black is difficult to obtain....i may try using a resist so i can do multiple layers...we'll see about that once i have done some experimenting.
15% H2SO4 - i am not sure what the battery acid strength is (I am getting 5 gallons new from NAPA) - what is 20asf mean?
the power supply i have is 12V DC...I had bought a computer PS for the purpose, but someone on audiocircle in TO has generously offered to lend me his 'vigor electro-plater'....
from what i have read, the sealing can be done just with boiling water, no? The 'sealant' is necessary mostly if you want to have a better protection from scratches, etc?
will post progress pix once i start
b
Old 7th November 2007, 03:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default anodizing

20asf = 20 amps / square foot... 12 volts probably will be difficult to get enough thickness to take the dye well...

vigor plating supply... not enough voltage... plating is totally different from anodizing... u can use 2 car batteries in series to get 24 volts... use light bulbs or other means to control current

Dark colors are tough w/o special treatments, especially with type II coatings...

Sealing with acidified DI boiling water helps to "set" the dye and keep it from leaching... good luck!!

Disclaimer: This is an informational only post, not intended for production and or processing of any hardware or parts.

John L.
Old 7th November 2007, 03:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

okay...I am going to give it a try anyway and see how it goes...I am not sure about the connecting car batteries together...ugh -this 'experiment' is dangerous enough already ...i wonder if i could connect two computer power supplies in series using the 12V/10A outputs and then adjusting current, etc with light bulbs...
B
Old 7th November 2007, 03:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

maybe something like this?
http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=101
b

Hide this!Advertise here!