Linkwitz lecture in London Nov 13th - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2007, 11:32 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Before last month's lecture, there was tea, coffee, and biscuits beforehand, and I expect the same this time. How's that for incentive to show up early (6:30)?

I'm kinda swarthy, plus I think I'll wear my grey SolidWorks t-shirt so y'all can recognize me...
Old 13th November 2007, 04:46 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Group picture?

How about a group picture of all the guys who show up at the venue ? We'd like to see !
Old 14th November 2007, 07:11 PM   #23
nickds1 is offline nickds1  England
diyAudio Member

Well. I couldn't turn up although I was only a few 100 metres away. A 3 hour upgrade of the firmware on our VoIP exchange last Satuday turned into a 4 day nightmare that meant I only got home at 01:00 AM on Wednesday.

Rats.
Old 15th November 2007, 06:57 PM   #24
sploo is offline sploo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can't offer any photos, just a ringing endorsement of the lecture. The content and delivery were very accessible and down to earth, and filled in a couple of gaps in my understanding (as a speaker building amateur).

People of Linkwitz's stature can sometimes be a little bit matter-of-fact, but he came across as very open minded and interested in any discussion, and very willing to answer questions.

In short - well worth the time for a trip to London... even if I did get a massive fine 'cause the parking machines where I left the car weren't working .
Old 20th November 2007, 11:24 PM   #25
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sploo et al, yes I have to agree the lecture was refreshing and simple to follow and digest. I was half expecting to get lost in maths and graphs but he made the content seem obvious without really trying. I'll defintely be down there for the next one...

As those that came for a drink after might tell I was more perplexed by the 1 per half pint vs 3.20 for a pint than anything in the lecture

I hope you're planning on contesting that parking ticket!

PM, keep in mind that idea of a demo CD...
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 21st November 2007, 12:31 AM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikash
PM, keep in mind that idea of a demo CD...
Strangely enough, that crossed my mind as well today when a 52 channel studio desk arrived. I couldn't fit it in my car boot though...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st November 2007, 12:21 PM   #27
sploo is offline sploo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Sploo et al, yes I have to agree the lecture was refreshing and simple to follow and digest. I was half expecting to get lost in maths and graphs but he made the content seem obvious without really trying. I'll defintely be down there for the next one...
Yes, given the detail on his website, I was worried I might get a bit baffled. The way he presented the lecture was very good - more a discussion of the current issues, pointing out areas you should consider/go and learn more about if you're interested.

I think it's one of the greatest skills of a speaker who is 'well versed' in his art to be able to get across complex issues in a way the layman can understand.

Quote:
As those that came for a drink after might tell I was more perplexed by the �1 per half pint vs �3.20 for a pint than anything in the lecture
*LOL* Weird. You should have asked for two half pints in a pint glass.

Quote:
I hope you're planning on contesting that parking ticket!
Already in progress. Though I've not been having a good couple of weeks; My dust extractor died (after 13 months of light usage) and the distributor are being more than incompetent with it. Frankly, I'm so p*ssed off at the moment I'm considering doing a write up of the details on this site - partly to warn people about buying their kit, partly to vent my spleen. It's rare I get sufficiently annoyed with someone to be bothered to write a public criticism, but these people have seriously wasted my time!

Hide this!Advertise here!