Audio, cables, and the ear-new science-the rules change - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2007, 02:12 PM   #1
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Audio, cables, and the ear-new science-the rules change

http://www.sciencenewsden.com/2007/n...scovered.shtml

10/22/07 - New Hearing Mechanism Discovered
MIT Professor Dennis M. Freeman, working with graduate student Roozbeh Ghaffari and research scientist Alexander J. Aranyosi, found that the tectorial membrane, a gelatinous structure inside the cochlea of the ear, is much more important to hearing than previously thought. It can selectively pick up and transmit energy to different parts of the cochlea via a kind of wave that is different from that commonly associated with hearing. In short, the ear can mechanically translate sounds into two different kinds of wave motion at once. These waves can interact to excite the hair cells and enhance their sensitivity, "which may help explain how we hear sounds as quiet as whispers," says Aranyosi. The interactions between these two wave mechanisms may be a key part of how we are able to hear with such fidelity - for example, knowing when a single instrument in an orchestra is out of tune. "We know the ear is enormously sensitive" in its ability to discriminate between different kinds of sound, Freeman says. "We don't know the mechanism that lets it do that." The new work has revealed "a whole new mechanism that nobody had thought of. It's really a very different way of looking at things." The tectorial membrane is difficult to study because it is small (the entire length could fit inside a one-inch piece of human hair), fragile (it is 97 percent water, with a consistency similar to that of a jellyfish), and nearly transparent. In addition, sound vibrations cause nanometer-scale displacements of cochlear structures at audio frequencies. "We had to develop an entirely new class of measurement tools for the nano-scale regime," Ghaffari says.

so the resolute objectivists can just take a hike.
Old 22nd October 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

despite hacing to create a new way of measuring, it is still measurable. interesting discovery though!
Old 22nd October 2007, 03:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Audio, cables, and the ear-new science-the rules change

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
[url]
so the resolute objectivists can just take a hike.
The only thing that has changed is the development of a new MEASUREMENT technique. It doesn't mean anyone hears anything any differently than they did before. It isn't some knew extrasensory perceptive technique. It is MEASUREMENT. Measurement is what objectivists like, and now you like it too?

Those people are scientists. Why on earth would YOU of all people be claiming anything they do to be favorable to your views? After all, it's the great scientific conspiracy that keeps us all ignorant of the truth of alchemy, etc. I wonder if they used some monatomic gold in their new instruments...

I_F
Old 22nd October 2007, 03:12 PM   #4
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

um, I seem to be missing the part that mentions "cables" in this report on objective scientific research. Can you point that out to me?
Old 23rd October 2007, 01:46 AM   #5
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

turns out the article bears little resemblance to being important to audio gear. That point remains to be proven.

If you like to pick on me, go to the over $20K component section on the AVS forum and watch me get an *** kicking. Might make your day.

Hide this!Advertise here!