Help~~damping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Few question for all of you:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of overdamped and underdamped circuits?

In what case you would use a overdamped circuit instead of a underdamped one?

In what case you would use a underdamped circuit intstead of a underdamped one?

Why is it poor to design a system which requires a critically damped circuit?? (is it because it is hard to get the right frequency?)

Please help...
very bit counts.
Thanks.

hitboy_sw said:
Few question for all of you:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of overdamped and underdamped circuits?

In what case you would use a overdamped circuit instead of a underdamped one?

In what case you would use a underdamped circuit intstead of a underdamped one?

Why is it poor to design a system which requires a critically damped circuit?? (is it because it is hard to get the right frequency?)
Please help...
very bit counts.
Thanks.
I am not sure what you mean.
I know that Loudspeakers can be built to dampen.

Give an example, hitboy_sw
of how you do that sort of damping of circuits.

/halo want to know

slightly underdamped is usually desired because the response will be quicker and the overshoot still small, this assumes you want a quick response to an input stimulus and can live with the slight overshoot.

control systems?

really, the lab reports are just to see if you have an understanding. most people will just read a book to get a book answer which is usually less meaningful then a 2 line answer from a person, in which case they learn less. it would be best to do these things on your own though.

my advise is to look at the "step-response" graphs for all 3 condtitions, these should be easy to find if you have any decent book.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
For the amplitude of various values of Qts, (free air) or Qtc, (closed box), see post #1 from the following thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8071

Post #6 contains the step responses for the same values of Qts or Qtc.

These are taken from the Paper by Richard Small, of Thiele-Small fame.

This is just for the rest of the forum, actually. According to his Profile Page, the author of this thread, hitboy, was last seen on this forum 366 days ago.

I am sure he did very well on his test based on this material and is now sailing along toward his degree. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.