Your opinions on 20khz+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Play a sine wave as high as you can possibly hear. change it to a square wave. there is a difference, Im not saying you are hearing the higher harmonics, but you are hearing your system responding differently to content with higher harmonics.

It could be that a better system is one where you CANT hear the difference between a sine wave and a square wave

neutron7 said:
Play a sine wave as high as you can possibly hear. change it to a square wave. there is a difference, Im not saying you are hearing the higher harmonics, but you are hearing your system responding differently to content with higher harmonics.

It could be that a better system is one where you CANT hear the difference between a sine wave and a square wave

You may be missing the fact that the fundamental of a sq wave is 4/pi times the identical peak amplitude sine

the 2 dB amplitude difference of the fundamentals of equal peak amplitude sine/sq is well within audibility limits

the only valid approach is to level match the fundamentals

jcx said:
You may be missing the fact that the fundamental of a sq wave is 4/pi times the identical peak amplitude sine

the 2 dB amplitude difference of the fundamentals of equal peak amplitude sine/sq is well within audibility limits

the only valid approach is to level match the fundamentals
Try level matching as you've suggested and tell us if you can hear/not hear the difference between squarewave/sinewave.

I have my input RF filter on my power amps set to about 0.7uS simply because at this I find little if any of the high treble content is filtered off. This is equivalent to F-3db~=234kHz, F-1db~=120kHz. Some builders go to even higher frequencies claiming they can hear additional clarity in the wanted signal.

When one hear (not listen) music, all the body (and all its receptor) is exposed to the source! So, even if ears don't cover range above 20kHz and below 20Hz, one should not forget the others receptors that, maybe, can have some responce!

Bye :)

P.S. Sorry for my english!

Well i know from personal experience that you can sense sounds above 20 Khz & below 20 Hz .
If you ever had one of the old remote controls with ultrasonic transducer you could try if you hear it .
For audio purposes however its of not much use the audio industry filters everything ,except a few albums that was released *as is* on request of the artist in question .
Very few albums (only on vinyl in case of high tones,cause cd isnt technicly capable of certain things) have sounds below 20 hz (dark side of the moon ,certain (church) organs etc.) or (more interesting) an album like "christ the album" where on the vinyl where audible soft bells on the cd they seem to have dissapeared due to filtering (read samplefrequency)
So in my opinion yes there are reasons for adding a little extra bandwidth when you use vinyl ,but there is no reason when you only use cd .

Complex signals above 20kHz in a non-linear amplifier will "mix" and the result with be sum and difference signals that will appear under the audible 20khz band.

These new frequencies add to your original signals to create new sum and difference signals if your amplifier isn't perfectly linear in the audio band.

Therefore it is very important that your amplifier high good IMD performance across the audio band and little beyond.

Trouble is, this is way easier said than done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.