the cable debate - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2007, 06:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default the cable debate

without stooping to petty arguments, i've made some observations.

(1) not everyone runs traditional parallel cables. i've seen people run loose wires or have loops of cable laying about. i wonder how and if these types of systems should be modeled.

(2) Peter Aczel claimed that 15 out of 16 is pretty much proof of a difference in ABX. this is a gross misunderstanding of probability theory.

(3) making detailed calculations is a pain. most people seem to measure instead of using electromagnetic theory. i suspect real-world calculations are closer to Jackson than Halliday/Resnick.
Old 10th October 2007, 03:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'll offer my observations to match yours-

1) Good measurements are hard. Electromagnetic theory is harder. I'll go with measurements, backed up by whatever math I can manage.

2) Loops have to be modeled as what they are. IMHO, loops are bad. They decrease an already small capacitance and add an inductance. Even if they don't cause a problem in the audio, they can really bring in the RF.

3) I like Peter Aczel because he knows where he stands and isn't afraid to say so. IMHO, he's right a large percentage of the time. I think ABX testing is a good thing to do; it has no flaws, but people do, thus it doesn't always give you the right answer. IOW, it's a perfectly logical rational way to test things that give consistent results. Audio doesn't seem to fall in that category.

4) There is no such thing as a legitimate cable-only discussion. Cables have to be analyzed as part of a larger system, and nobody wants to get into the details of component inputs and outputs with regards to impedance and phase over a wide range. Unless they've measured it, the data isn't available.
Old 11th October 2007, 12:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: the cable debate

Quote:
Originally posted by Notagenius
(3) making detailed calculations is a pain. most people seem to measure instead of using electromagnetic theory. i suspect real-world calculations are closer to Jackson than Halliday/Resnick.
Nah, the calcs are pretty easy. So far, they tend to match measurements quite well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman
(1) Good measurements are hard. Electromagnetic theory is harder. I'll go with measurements, backed up by whatever math I can manage.
I go with math, backed up by measurements.

Quote:

2) Loops have to be modeled as what they are. IMHO, loops are bad. They decrease an already small capacitance and add an inductance. Even if they don't cause a problem in the audio, they can really bring in the RF.
Loops are certainly bad.. and they do cause a problem in the audio band.
Quote:

3) I like Peter Aczel because he knows where he stands and isn't afraid to say so. IMHO, he's right a large percentage of the time. I think ABX testing is a good thing to do; it has no flaws, but people do, thus it doesn't always give you the right answer. IOW, it's a perfectly logical rational way to test things that give consistent results. Audio doesn't seem to fall in that category.
I like him also. His heart is in the right place. I don't concur with 6 or 7 of his 10 "lies" thing however. Unfortunately, too many people have accepted as gospel his writings without question, based on his rep..
Quote:

4) There is no such thing as a legitimate cable-only discussion. Cables have to be analyzed as part of a larger system, and nobody wants to get into the details of component inputs and outputs with regards to impedance and phase over a wide range. Unless they've measured it, the data isn't available.
A cable only discussion can only be about T line theory, so very few people can do that. I agree, it is part of a larger system with loops, response, storage, and.....ears.

Cheers, John
Old 11th October 2007, 01:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Compared to the gross non-linearities in speakers, cables are pretty irrelevant.
Old 11th October 2007, 03:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Compared to the gross non-linearities in speakers, cables are pretty irrelevant.
Considering we can image a soundstage quite decently using those "grossly non linear" speakers, stating other things are "irrelevant" is not factually substantiated.

Cheers, John
Old 11th October 2007, 03:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jneutron

Considering we can imagine a soundstage quite decently using those "grossly non linear" speakers, stating other things are "irrelevant" is not factually substantiated.

Cheers, John
There. I corrected it for you.

Nothing about the audibility of cables has been 'factually substantiated'.
Old 11th October 2007, 03:47 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

John, how about "not yet demonstrated to be significant except in rare, oddball, but perfectly explainable cases"?
Old 11th October 2007, 03:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There. I corrected it for you.

Corrected what?

Quote:
Nothing about the audibility of cables has been 'factually substantiated'.
Agreed. But that is not what you said. Your basic premise is that the transducers can't do better than some percent distortion figure, so therefore, anything below that isn't worth considering.

That is incorrect.

The real question is: can they alter the signal to the extent that a CORRECT test regime has the chance of finding it with humans.

So far, I've not seen any audibility tests which are done correctly to ascertain imaging shifts or alterations.

Do you think anybody on the planet has yet to measure a speaker with respect to it's affect on localization parameters?? They haven't. go figure..

Cheers, John
Old 11th October 2007, 03:53 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
John, how about "not yet demonstrated to be significant except in rare, oddball, but perfectly explainable cases"?
Yup.

HI Sy, how's it shakin??

Cheers, John
Old 11th October 2007, 04:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Corrected what?
Reading not one of your strongpoints?
Quote:
Agreed. But that is not what you said. Your basic premise is that the transducers can't do better than some percent distortion figure, so therefore, anything below that isn't worth considering.
No, I'd say comprehension. Where did I mention distortion figures? I said non-linearity, and any non-linear effects (that may possibly exist) of cables will be orders of magnitude below those that are present in loudspeakers.

Hide this!Advertise here!