To paint brushed aluminum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm finally around to finishing what has been a prototype amplifier for the last three years.

Part of my job is to get the faceplate painted a nice matte black or even slightly glossy.

It's made of brushed aluminum.

I would like other's suggestions and experiences with doing such a paint job. It's important to me that it coats evenly, looks even, and is very durable.

I tried an initial attempt with black rust paint to see what I'd get and this obviously doesn't work. It crackles off and doesn't coat evenly. It's terrible.

I must find a good primer and quality paint to use.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Duo

If your amplifier is aluminium you could also think about anodising.

I have diy anodised my last amplifiers and they look great. I choose diy anodising as I did not want to paint the heat sinks. There are two threads on diy anodising on diyaudio also some sites on Google. If you are interested and can not locate the diyaudio threads please e mail me.

Don

You can clean an aluminum surface with sodium hydroxide solution. You will need to do it in an open environment as it produces noxious fumes . But to paint it you probably need to use a special aluminum primer which is yellowish green I think. That sticks to aluminum very well . The paint will go over that .
I guess sanding down the primer layer(s) etc might be required to ensure that no scratches are visible. Glossy paint will show up even the smallest flaws.

Hi Duo,

Powder Coating is worth the wait and effort! It has all the positives (durable, even, right sheen for a faceplate, etc.). If you make a mistake when you apply text like Volume, Off/On, etc., and you need to remove it and do it again, the Powder Coat will be the best and not show any impact. Paint most likely won't fare as well.

I can't think of one negative except for having to wait and also you can't do it yourself unless you are setup for it!

Now Conrad, what about the Triumph? Which one and have you done any restoring? I would love to get my hands on a Sunbeam Tiger but there are a few Triumphs I wouldn't mind having!

Regards//Keith

Yes that kind of ruins the allure when it is violated to that extreme. I can understand why sometimes and it is done for muscle, simplicity and reliability. But that is why I like the Tiger. It has the Ford V8 right from the factory with one carb so no tempermental carb tuning issues. The carb setups from those days were not a lot of fun!

Tiger is the best of both sides of the big pond (for its day anyway (64 to 67).

But those XKEs were SEXY... We can say SEXY here, right?

Regards//Keith

Dave, I never heard that about them. I hope not! Maybe that's why they are hard to find!

Duo, I agree, but I hope you intend to get the convertible. IN that maroon metalflake paint color with nice authentic spoke rims!

I believe they had three to six carbs for six cylinders. That is hard to keep just right. Maybe they make an adapter that mounts an intake manifold over the area where the 3 to 6 carbs were and lets you use one four barrel carb instead. Not too much modification for a nice smmoth, reliable performance.

You get yours and I will get mine and we can meet at Niagra Falls to compare and find a little drag strip. I'll tell my wife, we are just going to Niagra Falls for a romantic weekend! Who knew I was going to run into this guy with a sports car that wanted to race!

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.