The Burning Amp Festival-Burning Gadgets Preview - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac

You'll have to see the rest of the amp at the show- or in the after show photos.. It's big!

you can shoot me with as many photos of that beauty you can ;

I love wallpapers like these , and just looking this Marine style is ,well, .........joy.

please - use my PM addy

hehe- and that just because you are

ps - package sent few hours ago
Old 8th October 2007, 07:10 PM   #12
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

here's another package that will soon be on its way.

The Twisted Pear people are finishing up the Opus DAC demo box with switchible inputs- S/PDIF or USb, Balanced or single ended. Even some filters to switch in and out.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...47#post1320147

Threasd starts here:
Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

I can't wait to hear it plugged into a laptop and run uncompressed files and see if it matches expensive CD players...

If it does, then my whole collection goes on a Hard drive. At Costco the other day I saw a 500 gig external HD for $160
Old 10th October 2007, 03:14 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Ok, schematic for RIAA section of preamp I'm bringing. I'll call it the "All American Preamp" for lack of any other name, as it uses all US made JFETs/ Mosfets in the signal chain. There's a few Japanese-made transistors in the bias and power supply circuits, but they could be replaced with MPSW05/W56.

I was looking for 40 dB gain at 1 kHz - I got ~42 dB, which is close enough for the time being. The circuit is a fairly radical alteration of the Pacific preamp, with followers for each stage, cascoding, and extra current source biasing to allow the gain FETs to run at fairly high quiescent current and also to be able to more independently choose the load resistor values, as not all the bias current is flowing in the load resistors.

When all is said and done, I'll probably go back to using a simple cascoded 2SK170 in the first stage, as performance is adequate at the low signal levels there. However, the use of a heavily biased MOSFET and the extra current source appears to have a big advantage at higher signal levels, with about 1/10 the THD of a simple JFET source follower, according to simulation. This time around, though, I was feeling cantankerous and wanted to do the whole preamp with domestic FETs that could be purchased locally.

The schematic shows one channel and the common discrete regulator for both channels.
Attached Images
File Type: gif super_riaa_sch.gif (57.7 KB, 773 views)
Old 10th October 2007, 03:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Attached is the PCB layout for the aforementioned RIAA amp. It includes 2 channels plus an on-board discrete regulator.
Attached Images
File Type: gif super_riaa_pcb.gif (44.0 KB, 710 views)
Old 10th October 2007, 03:21 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Here is a picture of the response of one side. The other channel is snake-bit, needs a little more care to get it working all the way. Soon, though.
Attached Images
File Type: gif sup_riaa_response.gif (23.7 KB, 670 views)
Old 10th October 2007, 04:13 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
my whole collection goes on a Hard drive. At Costco the other day I saw a 500 gig external HD
I always worry about the old saying " If your hard drive ai'nt broke it just about to !".

So I guesss all those who put all their music on a HDD will keep their original discs and not throw them out the window or dispose them ?

A friend I know gets around the HDD crash by sharing a copy of his drive with several close friends ( with music from other friends also ). That way he is sure that at least one good drive will be available to recopy if disaster strikes.

Cheers.
Old 10th October 2007, 12:03 PM   #17
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I use the "share with my Brother" and the "keep original disks" approach but two HD's are better.
At the current price not out of reach financially either..

wrenchone- are you bringing a TT also? Not required but maybe if you have a very good one..
Old 11th October 2007, 01:36 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok

I always worry about the old saying " If your hard drive ai'nt broke it just about to !".

With the price of hard drives these days, I go for the 2 for 1 model. Using a technique called RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives) you can mirror all info across both drives. When 1 dies, simply replace that one and then the data syncs to the new one.

I know there are tools to let you do this under Linux (and other unix-y OSes) as well as Windows. I'm willing to bet Mac has something like that built in. Something to the effect of RAID-1, or mirroring.

To me, an extra $100-$150 is worth not ripping CDs again, or getting off the couch to change one.
Old 11th October 2007, 01:52 AM   #19
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi reshippie,
Sadly, OS/2 Advanced Server 4 (more than 10 years ago) supported drive mirroring and multiple processors! It's taken u$soft this long to catch up.

Another technology from IBM OS/2 was the Journaled File System (JFS) available to server for E Business versions of OS/2 Warp 4. See this link or look at the IBM website. These were Unix offerings originally. I used these features and they delivered.

If I were someone who wanted high reliability in their system, I'd be looking at some flavor of Linux. Nothing for u$oft to break with an update. They are their own worst enemy and you are the victims.

-Chris
Old 11th October 2007, 02:53 AM   #20
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Quote:
Originally posted by reshippie

I'm willing to bet Mac has something like that built in. Something to the effect of RAID-1, or mirroring.
Yes you are right - it is part of standard utilities under OS X - comes with a system.
I remember in the old days I was using a nifty app - Hard disk tool kit, with systems 6, 7, 8 and 9. I do not know if they still exists.

Hide this!Advertise here!