Can I convert LPs to CDs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2007, 03:10 PM   #1
pendel is offline pendel  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question can i convert LP's to CD's

Hi, can anyone explain [laymans terms] if there is any way possible to convert my large vinyl record collection through an audio system and computer system to CD, i have just the standard home hi-fi,, and desktop computer.
Old 5th October 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
It's easy but i recommend an LP to CD software package.
A former Philips employee was the first 10 to 15 years ago to develop a package for transferring LP's to disc, nowadays there are a number of which Magix Cleaning Labs is likely the best known.

You need a fairly new main processor and a sound card with an audio input, a light-blue colored socket.
Between the recordplayer and soundcard either an integrated amplifier with recording out, a separate phono-pre, or a mixing panel.

Cool Edit is a nice program if you can find an older version, the latest one is part of an expensive Adobe deal.
The Ahead Nero packages also have utilities for recording, but are likely priced similar to Magix CL.
You can record with Windows only but it's a PITA.
Old 5th October 2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Arc is offline Arc  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iTTUSB-Tur...163802-3359004

I am sure that would help you out alot.

Never used it or heard anything bad/good about it.
Old 6th October 2007, 01:38 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Why don't you get a jigsaw and cut down the LPs to 120mm diam. They should fit the CD drawer just fine.
Works for singles as well.
Old 6th October 2007, 01:56 PM   #5
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
can i convert LP's to CD's
Now why would you want to do that?

If you were converting CDs to vinyl, I could understand the attraction...
Old 6th October 2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Audacity is a free tool with lots of features.
Not as fancy as Audition but it should work.

I do a lot of conversion and found out that recording the LP as one track, restoring it and then cutting the tracks to burn them on CD works best.
It takes a lot of practice to do a real good job but it's well worth it.

/Hugo
Old 7th October 2007, 01:01 PM   #7
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugo,

I swear, this place is giving me ADD. Every day I see another thread that catches my interest and then I want to do that too, along with my already large and growing list! Too many directions at once.

Ah so what, what's one more? Anyway, when you listen to the CD you made vs the vinyl, how do they compare?

This is interesting because CDs from Led Zeppelin for example (I don't know if better remastered ones have been released since I bought mine) most songs sound terrible. The song "What is and what should never be" didn't make the conversion too well when they released the CD and neither did "Ten Years Gone". The vinyl sounds much better (maybe vinyl is more forgiving or the engineering was just for the vinyl media). This could be an answer to bring back the level of enjoyment I experienced as a teen when vinyl ruled! Very good memories!

Thanks as always!

Regards//Keith
Old 8th October 2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Keith,
A good converted LP to CD gives you a faithful copy.
I for one can hear no difference between both.

Led Zeppelin's II is a fine example of a heavily distorted record and I think we can safely blame the master tapes.
Bass and drums on the loud passages are completely clipped in many songs, especially side 1 of the record. I never heard the remastered CD.
Physical Graffiti is a lot better and I managed to extract 'Ten Years Gone' pretty well although Plant’s voice is rather grainy.

/Hugo
Old 8th October 2007, 07:57 AM   #9
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

In my opinion, one of the simplest method giving good results is to play your LPs with your current turntable and preamp (assuming you have those, and the preamp has an output to external power amps). You can then connect your preamp outputs to either the analogue inputs of a highend computer sound card, or to those of one of the increasing number of CD players (e.g. Yamaha) with built-in hard disks and ADCs. All you then need to do is to set up the right signal level with the preamp volume control and get the data stored digitally. A computer-soundcard combination will probably give you better editing facilties afterwards.

Of course there are many additional conversion software which will allow you to remove noise and whatnot from LPs, but that is extra work that you should consider whether worthwhile or not.

Patrick
Old 8th October 2007, 08:23 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I'm going to start playing with getting my LPs into digital format, but i'm not interested in decimating them to CD -- i'll just store 24/96 on my computer and play it from there.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!