Can fridge compressers pump air?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
neutron7 said:

I dont think i will find too many dive shops in the middle of the continent. (Toronto)

Well, a quick Google on "dive shop +Toronto" turned this up:

Attachments

• toronto dives.jpg
    toronto dives.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 116
Did you read about the two tyre fitters that got killed when a tyre blew out?

Certainly there are occasional incidents - I guess there's always some risk, whatever's used.

In most cases, the cause seems to have been damaged rims and/or overinflation. A safety cage is recommended, which would be easy to rig (or position the tyre in an inaccessable position outside the workshop).

At least tyres have their SWP clearly marked, and this presumbly takes into account additional shock loading. In normal use (as a receiver), one wouldn't be in the same proximity as a tyre fitter, which seems to have contributed to injuries significantly.

Since so many garages have airlines available for public (mis)use, presumably HSE don't see it as a big risk.

dnsey said:
Since so many garages have airlines available for public (mis)use, presumably HSE don't see it as a big risk.
they will have been designed, tested and installed to an acceptable standard. And subject to regular professional re-inspection and re-testing.
This is unlikely to be met with a DIY system that is likely to be installed from cobbled together bits that seem good enough.
Re-inspection/re-testing is very likely to get forgotton about

Refrigeration compressors will work great as air compressors, but it is not that quite that simple. They are capable of 400psi easy, even small ones. Keep in mind a 1/2hp windows a/c compressor is not going to have the cfm that a run of the mill 3hp oilless does. You are going to need a larger compressor, anything over 1hp is usually rotary, which is louder than a reciprocating but also more efficient. Then bigger yet are scroll compressors.

To pump air you need a oiler on the intake and an oil separator on the exhaust. No more water will be in the tank than with a normal compressor but water will get into your oil, this may or may not cause a problem. I an pretty sure there are intake dryers in existence but i have never used one. They are used for sandblasting since water in a sand blaster is not good thing at all.

they will have been designed, tested and installed to an acceptable standard. And subject to regular professional re-inspection and re-testing.

Maybe - my experience of garages suggests otherwise:xeye:
My point, though, was that the end use (inflating tyres) is apparently considered reasonably safe, so the use of a tyre as a receiver can probably be considered low-risk.

I've just checked a butane bottle, BTW, and it's stamped with a test pressure of 22.5 Bar - quite sufficient, i'd have thought, for use with a small compressor. Of course, it would be usual (and sensible) to incorporate a relief valve set at, say, 150 psi.

I understand that these cylinders have to be retested every 5-10 years, but for amateur use the easiest approach would be to start with a fairly new one and replace it every 5 years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.