Audio Meet in Richmond, BC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,

Some of you may remember me, but I doubt it. It's been quite a while since I perused this forum! Well let me introduce myself - My name is Michael and I was active on this forum about a year ago. I attended the 2006 RAW-fest and had a blast meeting everyone. I was the quiet young guy with the unfinished mini voigt pipes using 3" audax drivers and my dad tagged along (who talked up a storm with Al about veneer and woodworking in general).

I've come by here to let a different audio community know about an audio meet I will be hosting in January 2008. At the moment I stick around the Polk Audio forum because there are a ton of great people on that board so it has been labeled the first Canadian Polk-fest. Unfortunately, there aren't too many people in BC from the polk forum so planned attendance is lacking. I'm throwing out an open invite to anyone here that wants to come since this is where I found out about the RAW-fest and I had a blast last year.

Details in the polk thread HERE

The idea is that it'll be similar to the RAW-fest where everyone can listen to music and swap out gear to hear something new and I'll have a BBQ going for some food. If people can or want to bring electronics, cables, speakers, w/e it works that much better. DIY or not it doesn't matter - the idea is to try something new and have a good time.

If you have any questions or ideas please feel free to contact me either here through pm / posting in this thread, on the polk board with pm / posting or directly email me at polkfest@gmail.com if that's easier.

To mods: I realize this might be lurking / spam since I don't spend much time on this board anymore so please let me know if this thread is out of line and I'll gladly remove it.

Thanks,
Michael

No, of course not. Anyone can come - friends, family, whoever you want but please give me numbers so I can plan ahead. Bring any brand of gear. It's only a 'polk-fest' because I started it on the polk forum.

Yes, there will be polk gear there (their top of the line bookshelves) but hopefully a wide assortment of different audio equipment. It all depends on what people bring.

Here I am.

Nice to see you around here again Michael. Saturday January 26? Man you are one gutsy guy. I'm guessing you're having this indoors. (oops, just read the link you provided)

Ya, I've built some crazy stuff this year. Not sure if any of it will fit through the door though. ;)

Actually, I do have the set of Calhoun's with the woofer I could bring along. Weather permitting that is (it is the dead of winter if I'm reading the calender properly). Something I put together rather quickly so the boxes are pretty rough (you and your Dad will have a good laugh) but it would be nice to hear them along with others and decide if good boxes are in order. The woofer (Shadow) is dual Extremis 6.8 and the Calhoun's are a dual CSS WR125 with a helper tweeter. (read lots -o- highs)

Sounds like fun. Let's see if we can stir up some interest for this.

Also, let us know about food and drink and what we can contribute.

Attachments

• img_0474.jpg
    img_0474.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 286
Dead of winter?? It's RICHMOND. We have snow on the ground for maybe four days a year :smash:

The date was actually picked so that we could time it around when a polk forum member from way up north (northwest territories) is coming down for a conference in vancouver.

My one concern is that we only have one listening room. It's fairly large but this means people will have to share and take turns swapping gear but I don't think that will be a huge deal.

I saw the thread about your calhouns a while back. Wasn't Dave in on this madness too? They're very intriguing and if you can swing it I'd love to see how they sound.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes they were a compilation of Scottmoose and Dave's input. I put them together rather hastily but at least they don't fall over without a good wind.

January 26 probably has the best chance of having snow either falling or on the ground of any day I can think of except maybe the 25th or the 27th. Mind you it also has the chance of being nice and sunny and above freezing.

Fingers crossed.

You're probably right about the weather, but hopefully it's a nice sunny winter day :)

Dave, if you can make it then that's great. If not, then I'm sure I'll be throwing another - maybe sometime in the summer of 2008. Any more small tube amps in the making? The 3watt one in the smaller room at raw-fest was yours, right?

Is anyone bringing friends or family? Just making sure I have a close watch on numbers for parking, food and space.

Hi Michael,

I am in Tsawassen BC just on the other side of the tunnel, I would be within location and interested. Also if electronics are welcome I could perhaps mosey on over with my personal Aspen Soraya CB105 for some prospectively inquisitive ears??. Im interested if this comes together :)...

Colin

Thank you for the interest Colin. More electronics is always a good thing, so if you want to bring the aspen that'd be perfect. The idea is to have a bunch of gear and try different combos to see what works well with what.

Is anyone able to bring along a good source? Most of my setup is fairly low - mid range and so far a source hasn't made it onto the list.

Rotel RA-02 with output stage buffer mods I can bring if needed. The Aspen Soraya is quite an astounding amplifier, transparent and will control pretty much any loudspeaker with ease, it is a new product from Aspen who originally produced the AKSA line of kits. Heres to hoping this festivity comes together, it will be my first, an audiofest virgin so to speak. :).

Colin

Geek said:

I have a Yamaha Natural Sound 5-disc CD I can bring :)
Already have one of those lying around but thanks for the offer ;)

That was a cool little amp. I think it was my first flea-powered amp experience (other than my sonic t-amp computer rig).

I've heard the RA-02 is a good match against the NAD C352 (what I own) so a side by side would be interesting. The aspen can be our reference amplifier so to speak. I'm very curious to hear my Polks with some good power behind them and I know this forum isn't huge on polk, but the LSi series is MUCH different from any other line of polk speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.