Audio Meet in Richmond, BC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello group I am on the maybe list.

Still negotiating my freedom!

If I make it, I have a nice new F4 to bring for your listening pleasure. This one came in to being on January 1 and has been breaking in very nicely.
If some one could bring a quality pre amp with about 14 volts of swing and +-20db of gain we can make it sing. I am building an Aikido right now but will not have it finished for bringing down. It would also be nice if some one could bring a SET flea power to feed the F4 that is apparently a great way to go as well.

Good luck Scott.... did I mention Cal clearly said free beer? ( :D )

Email's have been sent. If I missed anyone let me know and I'll pass on the info.

edit: forgot to mention everyone is getting kicked into the street for parking. There isn't enough guest parking within the co-op and if you randomly park in someone's spot they might tow you.

Only a couple days away people!

No need to bring anything other than audio related stuff. Address has been emailed to those attending, and if I missed anyone please email me at polkfest@gmail.com

It's not at my actual house, but the rec center in the same co-op. It'll be the building directly in front of you when you start making your way through the co-op. It makes up that little curve in the co-op - the only place that doesn't look like a normal house.

Parking is out on the street somewhere but if you need to bring gear in you can park temporarily outside the rec center on either side of the black & red 1968 beetle.

They're forecasting snow / mixed rain for Saturday so keep that in mind if you're driving truck with an open bed...

Anytime ;)

Without you guys, it wouldn't have been much of a show.

BTW, Rob is killing me here. These Monarchy SM-70 monoblocks sound way too good. :smash: (Still more thinking & listening to do)
One thing I have noticed though is that one of the amps gets a lot hotter than the other. The one amp is quite warm whereas the other I wouldn't want to touch for more than 15 / 20 seconds. Being class A I knew they were going to get hot but am curious why there is such a difference. Been quietly listening to these for about two and a half hours and I checked for any stray wires (possibility of a short). They're on a marble flexy rack and the hotter one is on top, but I don't think that would make enough of a difference since they're separated by 3/4" of marble.

We did it!. We got through the day without burning anything down.

A big thanks to Michael for hosting this. Good group there. Good food, good drink and oh ya some speakers and stuff. There was even a fellow, Steve from San Fran, up here for just the event.

The room wasn't the greatest for listening as it was very hard and echoey? but we got used to that after a while and got to hear some nice stuff.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx Mike,

It was fun despite the low turn-out. You do get a distance award as one attendee was from San Fransisco,

It was also good to listen to the little ML-Vs again... driven by the $100/side Monarchys they were really quite stunning.

BTW, when i got back to Cal's i found one of your CDs in my laptop, i have left it will Cal.

Originally posted by jamite BTW, Rob is killing me here. These Monarchy SM-70 monoblocks sound way too good. :smash: (Still more thinking & listening to do)
One thing I have noticed though is that one of the amps gets a lot hotter than the other. The one amp is quite warm whereas the other I wouldn't want to touch for more than 15 / 20 seconds. Being class A I knew they were going to get hot but am curious why there is such a difference. Been quietly listening to these for about two and a half hours and I checked for any stray wires (possibility of a short). They're on a marble flexy rack and the hotter one is on top, but I don't think that would make enough of a difference since they're separated by 3/4" of marble.

Those amps are very good. Beware, what has happened is called a "puppy dog close". The chances of you being able to give them back are small :^) I'd be really interested in 1 but just don't have the cash free.

And given that a passdiy ZEN would be a similar DIY, and i have parts for 4 channels of that kicking about....

They should be side-by-side... ideally one each should be right next to your speakers, If one still insists on being hot something is wrong. Make sure that you have the speakers wired as they should be given the switch seeting. When we last used them they were set up for stereo.

dave

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Sadly, I had to miss it despite driving around that very neighbourhood doing my mandated chores. If it was only a few blocks closer to Home Depot I could have snuck out while she-who-must-be-obeyed was in the kitchen design department.

So tell me what items were brought and flaunted.

..Todd

Cal did some great BBQ'ing and Dave, a great job with his little usb dac setup. It was a very nice setup with all the speakers & the Monarchy and tamed down well when we threw in the Channel Islands passive pre.

Next time hopefully it won't be snowing and we'll get to hear some of Cal's creations ;)

I'll pull the amps from the component rack and set them on the floor apart from each other. My concern is that they're on different shelves and even without being driven (idle and on from dead cold) the one amp gets hotter than the other before the other even warms up. I'm running them as monoblocks with switch properly set as they were originally set up on my Polks (then after we switched to the stereo / only using one channel).

I fear for my wallet to hook up the NAD integrated again... to be honest with you, I haven't heard my setup and liked it anywhere else but in my room. It just seems to work in the small room. I tried the CIA passive instead of the parasound and the passive was a little too lifeless. Since my small room's biggest flaw is lack of imaging and depth it really needs the active pre to sound good, whereas I liked the passive in a larger room.

I really enjoyed the A/B comparison between the two different fostex's. A subtle difference if you didn't listen to them back to back, but definitely different. As Cal put it, it really did remove a little bit of the 'Speaker sound'.

Which CD did you take? Just so I don't keep digging for it if it's not actually here ;)

PICS!!! :D

(click for larger images)

Mike's TL's and a little RS amp. The amp was discrete bipolar and not too bad:

Amp Closeup. Dave won the draw!:

Gorgeous lineup of speakers. A pair of Monarchy SM-70 monoblocks are in behind and could crank pretty good and clean, for zero NFB:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dave's little USB T-Amp:

The Edirol DAC is a nice sounding rig:

Tube Power! The Jolida. We'll hear this beauty next time:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My Baby SET and the Fonkens were well matched:

Mike's Polks:

Un-Enable'd Fonken for A/B test:

And the Enable'd one:

Great pics! Those little baby set amps were very nice. They're really easy to listen to and seemed to go well with everything at normal listening volumes. It's too bad the Jolida didn't get thrown into the mix at all.

BTW I believe the heat issue has been resolved - I didn't realize that despite the 3/4" marble shelf separating the two amps the heat would still transfer through very quickly and easily. The monoblocks are sitting apart next to my speakers atop four 10lb weights from a weight set to raise them off the carpet. If they do stay I'm thinking new diy project -> marble amp stands :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.