SATA to IDE adaption - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2007, 12:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default SATA to IDE adaption

Hi Guy's, I have a 2.5" SATA HD that I want to plug into a media player that has a 2.5" IDE port.
I know there are converters out there for 3.5" but can I hardwire one of these to make it work with 2.5"?
I was just going to solder in an adapter to the MB... anyone know if there's incompatibility with voltage or whatever?

Thanks

Lee
Old 4th September 2007, 01:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe one of these adapters..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/IDE-ATA-to-Seria...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SATA-to-IDE-Conv...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 4th September 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, theAnonymous1
The 1st one sounds right but it shows an ATA/IDE HD conecting to a SATA motherboard in the pictures even though it says its the other way around... My SATA drive certainly has a different conector on it than the one shown.

I have the converter on the way (I found one that is bydirectional) and I already have an IDE down sizer but I'm not sure the voltages are compatible.... I suppose I should just try it out?

Again.... the SATA conector looks different though...
Old 4th September 2007, 07:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lostcause
Hi, theAnonymous1
The 1st one sounds right but it shows an ATA/IDE HD conecting to a SATA motherboard in the pictures even though it says its the other way around...

You know I was thinking the same thing.

Do the connectors on the drive not look like this? If they do, then the first adapter should work.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th September 2007, 08:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yep! You are correct my man, I asked the seller and he said it was an old picture and we were the first to notice the error!

Thanks for the links, looks like I'm sorted

Old 4th September 2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hey Lee, let us know how it works out.

There are often much better deals to be had on SATA drives then on IDE these days.
Old 4th September 2007, 10:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Just out of curiosity, what media player is this for? I have a lonely 30gb laptop IDE drive that needs a home.
Old 5th September 2007, 11:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
Just out of curiosity, what media player is this for? I have a lonely 30gb laptop IDE drive that needs a home.
Nothing special, it's a Cheap Chinese piece of kit that I'm playing around with, primarily it's going to be used for DivX movies in the car (long journeys with the kids!!!) but I'm also going to rig it into the stereo system and put my album collection on it.

I got it cheap off ebay, a lot like this one:

Cheap as chips.....

Throwing it all together in a bigger box that I have knocking around so I can improve the cooling, I believe that they are prone to overheating.... no surprise there then!
Old 5th September 2007, 12:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah that's pretty much the type I was looking at on ebay. There's quite a few different 'flavors' of those generic players.

Lets us know if the adapter works out and if the player is worth it's weight in Chinese plastic.
Old 5th September 2007, 12:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

In fact I got the adapter from the same seller as the link above for about 4 ($8) so if it works it's going to be a very cheap project.... I even managed to pick up a couple of LCD displays for next to nothing at our local market

Quote:
There are often much better deals to be had on SATA drives then on IDE these days.
They sure are Michael, and then you have a certain amount of future proofing as well!

Hide this!Advertise here!