SATA to IDE adaption

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guy's, I have a 2.5" SATA HD that I want to plug into a media player that has a 2.5" IDE port.
I know there are converters out there for 3.5" but can I hardwire one of these to make it work with 2.5"?
I was just going to solder in an adapter to the MB... anyone know if there's incompatibility with voltage or whatever?

Thanks

Lee

Hi, theAnonymous1
The 1st one sounds right but it shows an ATA/IDE HD conecting to a SATA motherboard in the pictures even though it says its the other way around... My SATA drive certainly has a different conector on it than the one shown.

I have the converter on the way (I found one that is bydirectional) and I already have an IDE down sizer but I'm not sure the voltages are compatible.... I suppose I should just try it out?

Again.... the SATA conector looks different though...

Lostcause said:
Hi, theAnonymous1
The 1st one sounds right but it shows an ATA/IDE HD conecting to a SATA motherboard in the pictures even though it says its the other way around...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You know I was thinking the same thing.:eek:

Do the connectors on the drive not look like this? If they do, then the first adapter should work.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

theAnonymous1 said:
Just out of curiosity, what media player is this for? I have a lonely 30gb laptop IDE drive that needs a home.

Nothing special, it's a Cheap Chinese piece of kit that I'm playing around with, primarily it's going to be used for DivX movies in the car (long journeys with the kids!!!) but I'm also going to rig it into the stereo system and put my album collection on it.

I got it cheap off ebay, a lot like this one:

Cheap as chips.....

Throwing it all together in a bigger box that I have knocking around so I can improve the cooling, I believe that they are prone to overheating.... no surprise there then!

In fact I got the adapter from the same seller as the link above for about £4 ($8) so if it works it's going to be a very cheap project.... I even managed to pick up a couple of LCD displays for next to nothing at our local market:D

There are often much better deals to be had on SATA drives then on IDE these days.

They sure are Michael, and then you have a certain amount of future proofing as well!

panomaniac said:

What a crazy thing! Media Center Lite! Wonder what the "Coax" connection is?
Maybe SPDIF? Hmmm.....

Yep, SPDIF although I don't imagine the quality is going to be groundbreaking ;)
I have seen one of these things in action already, playing back an Xvid movie on a 32" CRT and it's as good as SD.
They are toooo compact though and the HD and chips get very hot so I'm going to drop the bits into a slighly bigger box I have knocking around.
Should be fun, I'll update once I have the adapter and tried all the functions.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.