3D mesurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Back in a closed thread the was something that Planet 10 said about the limits of measurements that caught my eye.

<snip> frequency response and impedance response. There is a lot more information accessible if these can be viewed as a rotatable 3-D graph.

That's pretty smart. But I've never seen it done.
But let me tell you a little story:

Years ago I went to an exhibit of 19th Century stereo photography. I was a grand set-up that allowed direct viewing of the stereo images. (I don't remember how). What I do remember was a charming photo of a photo of a young lady in front of a house, and in front of her in the foreground - a kitten jumping.

If the images was viewed in 2 dimensions, one could just make out a faint line in the dirt under the feet of jumping kitten. Nothing remarkable, hardly noticeable. But not in 3D! The line was obviously a small trough, a line drawn in the dirt with a finger tip. The focus line for the photographer. The width and depth of the line were quite tangible, there was no doubt what it was.

I spent nearly 30 minutes going back and forth from 2D to 3D. The difference in that one subtle little detail was amazing. In 2D, an unidentifiable smudge. In 3D, an obvious line drawn the the dirt with a finger tip.

That photo brought home to me how much information lies in 3D vision. In fact the information was all there in the 2 flat photos, but the synthesis of it by the brain gave it a whole new meaning - in 3 dimensions.

This little story is here just to open a dialog about how valuable polydimensional measurements, or at least the viewing of them may be. I would love to see orhear more on the subject.

Comments? Ideas? Fun photos?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The whole 3D experience applies equally well to music. When an audio system makes the music sound like it is coming from one plane it doesn't have nearly the same effect as when you can sense the width and depth of a performance.

Anyway, Tool's 10,000 Days album has some very cool stereoscopic artwork. A few of the images really give a good illusion of depth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.