Copyright Issues (split from Ariel thread)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need I say this??

Need I say this??

ticovski. Shame.

I guess it is catch as catch can on the internet - but if you find a piece of information, MY INFORMATION (which btw was not very hard to find, now was it??) and then post it up here after I said that I did NOT want to publicize it, what does that make you?

I could suggest a few choice words, but that is not possible here...

Needless to say, I do not feel that that action nor the subsequent actions of those who posted links to my site, nor the one who clipped and posted a copywrited image is appropriate nor particularly good form.

In case anyone reading this doesn't fully grasp or understand the above, I purposely had left those pages UP so that those who had a teeny tiny bit of initiative and thought would be able to find it an benefit from it. NOT so that anyone who stumbles across this thread can merely click and take advantage of it.

And, BTW, that's NOT the main unobtainium driver...

_-_-bear

Salas,

Please edit your post and modify it so that it does not have an uploaded copy of my copywrited image? Thanks.

Can you provide me with the link to the "local forum" privately please?
Thanks.

Pdan,

Honor and virtue are attributes that apparently are no longer (if ever) valued.

Pearls before swine?

_-_-bear

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Most certainly.

I can't edit it anymore, mods pls take out the driver image I posted above. But how do you copyright an image of a Yamaha driver?

Attachments

• screenshot6.jpg
    screenshot6.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 476
Sorry OT...

salas said:
Most certainly.

I can't edit it anymore, mods pls take out the driver image I posted above. But how do you copyright an image of a Yamaha driver?

Dear Salas,

I take the picture - it is then my picture.
If I take a picture of my bench and it has a Tektronix scope on it, it is still my picture.
I take a picture of the Empire State Building in NYC, my picture.
I publish the pictures on my website and place a copyright notice on the site. My pictures, my copyright.

I asked you to privately send me a URL to the site that used my image, your "local" forum, not to post it here.

You can email me by clicking on the email button below any of my posts, thanks.

_-_-bear

Ah, I see the thread has been split off?? Ok.

I think you may be correct, you may be wrong.
Regardless, if you read the Wikipedia (USA) information on the topic, it is not a fully settled topic.

However, I do own the copyright to my work.
That was a copy of my work.
That image had to be found by means other than going through the front door of my site.
Clearly, it was not intended to be generally available - although shy of requiring a password and/or ciphering the page.

I do not feel that it is fair use to copy a complete image and repost it in full res in this sort of situation. Especially since it is not intended for distribution, is not advertising.

Also there was no proper attribution.

I do not have a problem with linking to my images or pages.
That is certainlyl fair use.

Whatever.

I thought that what the first person did by "spilling the beans" was at best impulsive and foolish.

Whatever.

_-_-bear

Thanks.

_-_-bear

Re: Need I say this??

ticovski. Shame.

Ashamed, sure, what for?

I just placed totally legal link to YOUR web page. Period.

I guess it is catch as catch can on the internet - but if you find a piece of information, MY INFORMATION (which btw was not very hard to find, now was it??) and then post it up here after I said that I did NOT want to publicize it, what does that make you?

You have to realize, when you place some information on Net it does not belongs to you anymore, it is public, only if you have copyright or patent.

Anyway, I placed link directly to your site just to keep you from whining about copyright. That is perfectly legal and moraly right!!!

I could suggest a few choice words, but that is not possible here...

Be true gentleman to the end and put them, please...

Why?

Simple because you were boasting yourself and bragging about how you have and know something special, bla, bla...

Diyaudio.com is about sharing, my friend, in a case you did not noticed, not to promote your Greatness. OK?

What gives you right that you demand for yourself to keep information of some, obsolete yes, but otherwise good product? Maybe someone else is going to be close to some source and if he is having right info about he can use it. That is good, not bad my friend.

Since you did not want to share your knowledge I did it instead. Hope you understand that.

In the first place if you want to take advantage from your knowledge do not come hear and brag about it. Keep yourself quiet and use it.

Yes, I knew that you are going to react. But you know what, I care very little about it. I admire to knowing and humble people like mr.Pass and Lynn Olson but abhor of those who come here, contribute little or nothing and expect to be adored or alike...

Best regards, my friend...

PS
Moderator, who and what gives you right to remove that link? Mr. Bear is having special treatment here? That link was on topic, perfectly suitable for thread and valid. If mr.Bear does not want to show us what he knows than he need to remove that from his site or place pass to limit access! Internet is in public domain.

You have to realize, when you place some information on Net it does not belongs to you anymore,

Sorry but you are completely wrong! Contrary to popular belief, something published on a website is not now in the public domain and free to be copied by anyone who feels like it.

Please see here http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

One other interesting fact is that you never have to point out that the material is copyrighted, exclusive copyright belongs to anyone who publish a unique text or pictures on whatever media there is, instead you need to specifically state that your work can be used freely if you allow that, otherwise it is copyrighted.

To be fair the biggest problem with copyright is to defend it, it is not so much that you can do if someone use your own work without permit but just because the owner doesn't sue the user doesn't make it legal.

There are cases where individuals like students have been sued by big companies just because they copied and published something on a WEB site so please beware.

Regards Hans

You have to realize, when you place some information on Net it does not belongs to you anymore, it is public, only if you have copyright or patent.

That is not correct. The lumping of copyright and patents indicate that you need to read more about IP law. There's a lot of it which is not settled, but the ownership of original images and text (even when put on one's website) is absolutely settled and clear.

SY and tubetvr,

maybe I need more reading on that subject, right. But you, guys, are missing one key point, I did not publish anything, I just placed link to his own site. That is HUGE difference :cool:

One more thing, I understand copyright regarding pictures, films, music, programs, original artworks. But what about information that I know that SY is having big nose ;) can I share it or this type of info can be somehow copyrighted???

Regards

Ticovski, I didn't react on what you actually did but instead on what you wrote about your belief that
when you place some information on Net it does not belongs to you anymore,

As this is as common belief as it is wrong I thought it would be helpful if someone notified this community about what is correct.

I just placed link to his own site. That is HUGE difference
Yes and no, See here for some discussion on the subject http://www.templetons.com/brad/linkright.html

Regards Hans

I have done my homework and learned some weird stuff:

“In the DeCSS case, the judge ruled that 2600 magazine, by linking, wasn't providing DeCSS software, but it was "trafficking" in it. What the judge said was that linking wasn't just telling people where something was, which remains legal. Linking, the judge felt, was an action as well as expressing information. He picked the bizarrely extreme analogy of political assassination, which is both expressive and murderous at the same time, to explain that some forms of expression which do other things can be regulated.

The owners of the 2600 web site replaced their links with text URLs, and so far are unpersecuted. This would be in line with the theory that a link is not just a piece of text but also code in a computer language (HTML) that builds a virtual "button" that people push to cause not just speech, but actions to take place.

On the other hand in the TicketMaster vs. Tickets.com, a different district court ruled that TicketMaster could not forbid deep links into its site.”

So if deep linking is legal (in USA) or not is at least unclear and is dependent of state in which is author or server or something else?

But I have learned that putting things like that is legal, at least for now ;)

-this is not a link_http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:Kb_--zAxkxUJ:bearlabs.com/NEXT/COMPINFO.html+yamaha+site:bearlabs.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=opera

Or am I wrong again :xeye:

Not that I want to get involved in this discussion, but I can't help but offer some of my own experiences.

I have found direct copies of my work on other peoples websites including a couple of manufacturers, they just posted copies of my pdf documents giving the illusion that the company had done the work. They downloaded my work and reposted it, some left my name others removed it. Right or wrong, legal or illegal, moral or immoral, it happens. In reality, not much I can do.

Lesson Learned : If you don't want people to use something you post on the Internet, keep it to yourself. You offer it up, people take it, and possibly use it in ways you never intended.

bear, I feel your pain. But in the end you loaded an image onto your site. I can understand you are not happy. But it is your own fault for not protecting your own work. Be careful and assume anything you post is exposed to the entire world.

Not trying to be harsh, just a realist.

MJK said:
Not that I want to get involved in this discussion, but I can't help but offer some of my own experiences.

I am going to paraphrase your words, if you don't won’t to get involved then don't post here ;)

MJK said:
I have found direct copies of my work on other peoples websites including a couple of manufacturers, they just posted copies of my PDF documents giving the illusion that the company had done the work. They downloaded my work and reposted it, some left my name others removed it. Right or wrong, legal or illegal, moral or immoral, it happens. In reality, not much I can do.

First I want to say you did great job with your quarter-wave speaker design and wish you keep going. Not that I had any use of it for know but like the way you did it.

I am not supporting such activities as copying other works and like. I also have site, supporting my profession, and found part of it cited without permission asked, felt affected by that for a moment. But I am realizing that only my vanity was affected, ego to say, and decided to do nothing.

MJK said:
Lesson Learned : If you don't want people to use something you post on the Internet, keep it to yourself. You offer it up, people take it, and possibly use it in ways you never intended.

bear, I feel your pain. But in the end you loaded an image onto your site. I can understand you are not happy. But it is your own fault for not protecting your own work. Be careful and assume anything you post is exposed to the entire world.

Not trying to be harsh, just a realist.

It is hard to compare one or two pics with your thorough research and hundred of hours invested.

You are right, saying that at first place one need to protect his work in appropriate way and in a time.

But I am sure that Bear would welcome any link on that dispute page if he is still having few hundred pairs of Yamaha CD's. After all it was only a page for advertising. How we call that, hypoc…

BTW, Martin, do you still ask your customers to delete your MathCAD sheets one year after purchase if there is no repurchase :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.