getting my laptop operational?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
just took delivery of a new laptop. Tosh a120se duo
OS=XPpro sp2
Can't find what type of sound card is integrated into it.
Can't get it to recognise the broadband router that my PC is connected to.
Don't know how to get the two to talk to each other.

HELP!!

Baby steps are better than generalities.

I'm going for the morning paper.
I expect dozens of gems of detailed advice on my return.

Hi,
the laptop has wireless capability, but I don't intend using it. I want clean air in my house (no mobile telephone). The router is not wireless.
The router has both Ethernet and USB.
I tried ethernet first, no luck.
I disconnected the USB from the PC and plugged USB into laptop, still came back with "unplugged"
Do I have to disable wireless to get cable connections to take over?

EDIT: Do what he (^) said first.

Find your network properties, (usually right click on "My network places")
then right click on "Local network connection" select properties,
go into properties of "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)"
Select Obtain IP address automatically.
OK it, then reboot your PC.

once it has rebooted:
Start, run, type in CMD <press enter>
ipconfig <enter>

you will see something like this:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

the default gateway is the IP address of the router. your PC will have been assigned an address as well (in my case 192.168.1.99)

Write the gateway down because you can punch this address into internet explorer to setup your router if you need to.

If there is no default gateway assigned it means your router is not set up to assign ip addresses. then it starts getting tricky.

Good idea not using wireless if you don't have to. They haven't proven long term exposure to RF is safe yet. They used to think Asbestos was wonderful.

theAnonymous1 said:
First things first......

Start Menu ---> Control Panel ---> System ---> Hardware Tab ---> Device manager

Alternate: Start Menu ---> right click My Computer ---> Properties ---> Hardware Tab ---> Device manager

Are there any yellow asterisks in the Device Manager window?
scrolled through both routes.
No yellow warnings.

OzMikeH said:
EDIT: Do what he (^) said first.

Find your network properties, (usually right click on "My network places")
then right click on "Local network connection" select properties,
go into properties of "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)"
Select Obtain IP address automatically.
OK it, then reboot your PC.

It was already set to obtain automatically, but the addresses down below are all blank.
Reboot with USB to router or Ethernet to router or leave disconnected?

start/control panel/network connections

make sure your ethernet adapter is 'enabled'

If not, right click it to enable it.

if so, or after you've enabled it double click the ethernet adaptor. select the 'support ' tab. You will now see a repair button. make sure you are plugged in ethernet to the router. click repair. You should now see your ip address. If not - maybe you have a bad cable or a crossover cable.

do the lights on the router port light up when you plug the laptop in?
I wouldn't b other with usb:dead:

OK, if there are no yellow asterisks all your hardware is installed properly. That's a start.

You can try setting the IP properties manually. Assuming your default gateway is 192.168.1.1(which it probably is), you can try the settings in the pic below.

I would also try to stick to getting the ethernet to work and not the USB.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

mpmarino said:
start/control panel/network connections

make sure your ethernet adapter is 'enabled'

When I right click, "disable" appears in black script. Does that mean it is already enabled?
mpmarino said:

If not, right click it to enable it.

if so, or after you've enabled it double click the ethernet adaptor.

Nothing comes up as "ethernet"
Where should I look?
mpmarino said:

select the 'support ' tab. You will now see a repair button. make sure you are plugged in ethernet to the router. click repair. You should now see your ip address. If not - maybe you have a bad cable or a crossover cable.

do the lights on the router port light up when you plug the laptop in?
I wouldn't b other with usb:dead:

Hi,
you're both suggesting I stick with ethernet.
That may be a problem.
Last summer this PC used ethernet into the router. A storm took out something in the link.
The PC repair shop said the computer tested out OK.
Eventually the router helpline talked me through connecting up the usb input and I have used that ever since.

The router is described as a two input device, using either the USB or the ethernet or both if two computers are connected to broadband.

Is there a way to identify whether part of this laptop problem is in my router or in my laptop?

I think you may be referring to the dsl or cable modem perhaps?

When I was referring to router - it was to a multiport appliance connected via ethernet to the cable or dsl model.

If your cable or dsl modem has a dead ethernet port - buy a new one! It's the only way you can simply have a router hooked up and share the isp.

To test the ethernet port on your laptop.

you could manually set up the network port in your laptop to be 192.168.1.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

then set the network port on the PC to be 192.168.1.3 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

plug them into each other with a crossover cable, or with 2 normal cables and a hub/switch in between.

you can bodge up a crossover cable by cutting a normal one in half, then connect:
orange = green (both ways)
orange/white = green/white (both ways)
Don't worry about the brown and blue. leave them disconnected.

On the laptop start menu, run
CMD <enter>
ping 192.168.1.3

if you get replies the network port on the PC and the laptop are working.

record any old setting on the PC.

mpmarino said:
Yes, it should read enabled next to the icon.

yeah, it depends on who made it and what they decided to call it. Look for your local area connection that is not wireless.

edit: mildly edited:)
the wireless connection says "not connected firewalled"
the Local Area Connection says "network cable unplugged".
left click brings up properties & dialogue box. all the options are ticked.
the options in black are
disable
bridge connections
create shortcut
rename
properties

in"properties" + "authentication",
"enable IEEE 802.1x authenication for this network" is already ticked.

I've not re-booted yet.

you're getting a bit ahead of me slow down until I catch up.

Andrew, if you have the ethernet cable plugged in between your modem and the computer and it still says "network cable unplugged", then your modems ethernet jack is probaby screwed like you said.

If you plan on having more than one PC connected to your modem you need to buy a new modem. If you do end up buying a new modem I have a router and/or an ethernet switch you can have.

EDIT: And BTW, when you change the mac address connected to the modem (i.e. a new device), then the modem needs to be reset for things to work properly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.