getting my laptop operational?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have re-installed the same driver.
What I did notice is that it did not look at the CD rom with win98 in it.
it only looked at A drive (empty) or programs/system.
It did not show the option to read the Edrive.
But did eventually complete sucessfully.

Plugged from router usb to laptop usb.
ping pong as I plug & unplug.
tried a second usb port same response.
message is still "Network cable unplugged, Firewalled".

but this usb router to usb desktop works.

theAnonymous1 said:
It doesn't matter where you extract them to. You run the setup.exe.

Wait, these are the drivers for the modem/router. Are you saying you have a USB memory stick that you can't get to connect to the laptop either?
I re-installed the usb drivers in the desktop.
The laptop usb reads a stick and the pictures XD via a card reader.

Do I need the router drivers in the laptop?
how do I get them in there?

Can't.
I haven't found how to get the two computers to talk to each other, not even via transferable media.
No floppy on the laptop.
no stick compatibility on the desktop.
no CD writer on the desktop.

Is there a way to connect a normal desktop hard disk to a laptop?

theAnonymous1 said:

Yes, but it requires an adapter that you don't have.:cannotbe:

Do you not have a regular ethernet cable? That would be two RJ45 plugs, 8 pins, and 8 wires. :smash:
yes, I've got dozens of them for wiring up the house. RJ45 plug at each end.
But, neither the router nor the desktop have a compatible socket.
The laptop has the correct socket labelled LAN jack and it's right next to the 3 USB ports.

Take a rest, you've been at this most of the day & I'm going to make dinner then going dancing.
I'll be back tomorrow with a fresh mind.

Thanks to you all for trying so hard.

Hi Andrew,

This where I get to help you. If you want the PC to talk to the laptop, you can plug in a ethernet cable from one to the other (assuming you have an RJ45 ethernet connection on each) BUT you need a "CROSSOVER CABLE". It looks exactly like an ethernet cable BUT has some of the pairs of the four pairs order reversed so the send and receve mode can work between the two computers. When you use a switch it does the conversion for you so a normal etehrnet cable works there.

If you don't have one or don't want to buy one you can try to make one (if you have extra) from a regular ethernet cable. You may need to buy just two RJ45 connectors (one dollar in the US). Get the ones that dont need special tools to mount them.

usually in cat5E cable there are four pairs of cable.

colours are as follows:

(orange & white orange)
(brown & white brown)
(green & white green)
(blue & white blue)

take the rj45 connector and the splice one end of cat5 cable insert into the connector according to the colour code given below either from left to right or from right to left.
1)white orange
2)orange
3)white green
4) blue
5)white blue
6)green
7) white brown
8) brown

with the other spliced end of the cable ,just interchange the cable connections i.e
1)white green
2)green
3)white orange
4)blue
5)white blue
6)orange
7)white brown
8)brown

now yourr crossover cable is ready to transfer data and communicate between two pc's without any modem or hub or any wirless communication device. When we get to that point we can talk about how to configure both computers. Or you bcan buy a cheap 3Com, Belden or other 4-5 port 10/100 ethernet switch, they are under 15 pounds in the UK over the Internet!

I hope this helps!

Regards//Keith

PS a modem cable (uses telephone company system voice lines or DSL) has a similar footprint to a RJ45 and will fit into a LAN (RJ45) port but not the other way around

theAnonymous1 said:
One last post, then I'm off to take a nap.:xeye:

Is this not the back of your router?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The jack labeled LAN in the pic is RJ-45. This should be the exact same socket as the one labeled LAN on the laptop. If they are not the same, I must be missing something.
that pic is correct.
I have the 6pin (4blank) plug in there at the moment.
But you're right the RJ45 also fits the port.
The desktop PC must be different, it used the narrow plug.

Now I'll try the proper RJ45 between router and laptop.
Still reports unplugged.
I going to re-boot the router.
still unplugged.
re-booting the laptop.
still unplugged, but firewlled has gone.
The ethernet light is still off on the router.

The desktop thinks it's offline when the RJ45 is connected.
removing the RJ45 from the router opens the isp link again

KP11520 said:
This where I get to help you. If you want the PC to talk to the laptop, you can plug in a ethernet cable from one to the other (assuming you have an RJ45 ethernet connection on each) BUT you need a "CROSSOVER CABLE". ........................usually in cat5E cable there are four pairs of cable.
with the other spliced end of the cable ,just interchange the cable connections i.e
...............now yourr crossover cable is ready to transfer data and communicate between two pc's without any modem or hub or any wirless communication device. When we get to that point we can talk about how to configure both computers. Or you bcan buy a cheap 3Com, Belden or other 4-5 port 10/100 ethernet switch......
I have checked the back of the desktop.
It too has an RJ45 port that has a 6pin plug in it.
I have some spare cat5 sockets.
I can use two straight through patch cords and do the crossover between two rewireable sockets.
Will this do as a temporary fix?
Can try that tomorrow morning.

so much for getting some concreting done today, that's one of our few dry days gone.
I'm off for tonight,
bye and thanks.

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, a 6-pin jack is NOT an Ethernet jack. It is used for telephone technology. It is a 6-pin RJ12, used for Telephony.

100 MB full duplex Ethernet requires four pair of wires (8 pin RJ45). Maybe what is installed is a universal modem capable of working with two telephone lines or works on telephone systems globally. Most Modems use RJ11 jacks with 4 pins. Is thera any way you can comfirm what is installed in your Laptop? I don't think they are doing anything too different in the UK vs the US.

Firewire connections also use 6 pins.

Look here, which does your jack look like? If none of these look like what is installed, it is most likely a Firewire jack IEEE 1394: http://www.tcswnc.com/RJ11 and RJ45 Connectors.htm

Let me know!

Regards//Keith

Hi,
I've made up the crossover connector.
It now explains the 568A & 568B labels on the Krone sockets.
One socket is wired to 568A and the other socket to 568B.
I'm using standard 0.5m patch cords from sockets to computer ports.
The laptop and desktop are connected using the RJ45 ports.
The desktop still talks to the ISP.
Before, when RJ45 laptop went to RJ45 router, that turned off the desktop to isp link.

The RJ45plugs in the patch cords match the RJ45 8 position modular jack shown in the link.
The narrow plug in the old connector matches the RJ11 6 position modular jack but wired as the middle diagram usocRJ11 or RJ11C (1 pair). Yes, the narrow plug was fitted into the 8position ports.

edit.
is it worth trying the crossover cable between laptop amd router, or is that a standard cable connection?

Andrew,

I checked out your Toshiba online and you definately have a LAN port with a RJ45 Jack (I just don't understand the 6 pins).

Now since the computers can talk it is time to work on the Voyager (which is a good DSL modem). I believe as the other gentlemen said, it is either USB or LAN connections to the Internet but we will establish that now that you got the computers talking.

You can use your PC as a gateway but the Anomonous One is right, it is not the ideal environment! You might still be best off with a small switch plugged into the Lan Port of the DSL Modem (assuming the LAN port is OK),

Congrats to you for your success and paying attention to the details with the RIGHT crossover cable! This rules out a lot of wasted time and allows the focus to where it should be, on the DSL Modem.

Regards//Keith

KP11520 said:
Now since the computers can talk it is time to work on the Voyager (which is a good DSL modem). I believe as the other gentlemen said, it is either USB or LAN connections to the Internet but we will establish that now that you got the computers talking.
too soon for that.
the laptop still says the LAN is unplugged.
They are not talking yet.

Let's get the LAN port on the laptop working first... Do you have any Chat capabilities, this will go much faster.

We also need to look at the configuration of the DSL modem, I will also look at its specs and capabilities online. Usually you don't need a crossover cable between the PC and the Modem.

Your older PC, is that the one with the strange 6 pin RJ45 jack? If this broken or damaged, the Laptop won't recognize anything and that could be why you are getting that message.

Sometimes when the Ethernet cables are in for a long time or you get a surge, the pins on the plug and jack fuse and got pulled out when the pklug was removed!

We WILL get to the bottom of this!

The DSL Modem allows both USB and Ethernet to work at the same time. We need to look at the laptop drivers!

Hi,
the ports on the laptop AND the desktop are both RJ45 = 8 position modular jack.
I have them connected together with CAT5 4pair utp patch cords with the crossover sockets in the middle.
Your older PC, is that the one with the strange 6 pin RJ45 jack? If this broken or damaged, the Laptop won't recognize anything and that could be why you are getting that message.
this link to the modem/router was the one that went down in the storm. The PC vendor/repair dept claimed it was undamaged, but the DSL helpline could not get that original link to work so he talked me through getting the USB link to operate and that is what I have used to this date. I cannot tell whether it was the Modem or the PC or the software that was damaged. I suspect none of them want to admit it in case they have to replace something.

KP11520 said:
Also your Broadband Service provider is supposed to support this Modem. Did they supply it when you signed up or did you supply it? Either way they usually will help to keep you with them as a lifetime customer.
Yes, the broadband package came with the router.
BT operate a closed shop here in this rural digital exchange, they have very effectively set up the rules to prevent any competitors getting a foot in without spending a lot of capital for very few customers.
I'm stuck with BT, they do provide helpline support and Q&A over the web. It's this Q&A that confirms I can connect two computers, but their instructions are very sparse.

Here is a nice little trick for cleaning up older XP installations.. especialy , if you plug in and out any peripheral devices... or upgraded components/monitors etc. in the past.

It was shared by a friend

To get rid of that unwanted driver, device, or service:
1) Open the "Start" menu and choose "Run..."
2) Type in "cmd" (without the quotes) and click "ok".
3) At the cmd prompt, type in "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" (without the quotes) and press enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen--this is ok. We are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help us to see hidden devices)
4) On the next cmd prompt line, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.
5) In the Device Manager Console, from the "View" menu, select "Show Hidden Devices".

Now, as you expand the different drivers and devices in device manager you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your pc (these are the usual items displayed), but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right-click, and choose "uninstall" to remove it from the system completely.

Be careful though; you should note that non-loaded devices, drivers, and services are "grayed" out, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you don't need. And, be careful that you don't change too many devices or you might need to re-activate your Windows installation.

Last thing, if you accidentally exit the Device Manager Console you will need to start over again at the cmd prompt. To close the cmd prompt window, type "exit" (without the quotes).

I think THEY need to replace the Modem. Here, they help determine the problem over the phone and either deliver a new one or mail it overnight and you ship the old one back. I think something in the Modem got zapped! But the PC and the Laptop should see each other. And the Laptop should see the Modem if plugged in directly to the LAN port. Do you have any friendly neighbors with an extra Ethernet Card to swap in your PC temporarily to determine if this is where another problem is, I don't think it is the Laptop. Although, just to be on the safe side, we can uninstall and then reinstall the drivers on both for their Ethernet adapters to rule out problems with them or their software (drivers sometimes get corrupted).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.