getting my laptop operational? - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2007, 05:27 PM   #201
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw

Would have thought that would point to the modem/router being at fault.
or a faulty cable.??

Straight wired or crossover ???

If you lived closer, I would also help.
I have enough stuff left over from my old computer business to build several PCs

Andy
Old 31st August 2007, 05:28 PM   #202
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
that would point to the modem/router being at fault.
I agree.
As said not thorough and his software that took him through some kind of Q&A session seemed very limited.
But, if my returns request is successful then I am rid of it. and hopefully with all the memory that arrived this afternoon.
Old 31st August 2007, 05:31 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poynton
or a faulty cable.??

Straight wired or crossover ???
I have tried a few cables and also tried a crossover adaptor. I offered him the option of changing the cable, eventually he said try it (it was probably not on his screen).
I also offered the crossover suggestion, he became dumb.
Old 31st August 2007, 05:37 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

So how come the laptop is going back?
Old 31st August 2007, 05:48 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

The Helpline decided that the LAN port/s are probably faulty.
They have logged my call.
I have contacted the seller as requested and logged the helpline conclusion and requested instruction for uplift and re-imbursement.
I await a response from the retailer.
Old 31st August 2007, 05:48 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Just a FYI on routers and cables. A lot of newer routers/switches will accept standard and crossover cables and use them as either or. Say you want to connect your PC to the router but all you have is a crossover cable; the router will automatically switch to use the crossover as a standard cable.

I believe Netgear calls theirs "Auto Uplink", but this feature isn't specific to just Netgear products.
Old 31st August 2007, 05:51 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

But, what do I need to allow (analogue) data capture.
Old 31st August 2007, 07:40 PM   #208
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Andrew,

Why don't you move closer to any one of us who can help?

I will help only if you get AOL Instant Messnager or Yahoo Messanger and we communicate that way. IT is like being in your own little VPN chatting (or voice and sometimes video) like you are the only two computers on the internet. It is the next best thing to one or all of us being there. And quite faster and better than the way this transpired over the past week.

Before you build a PC with scraps, make the committment to purchase whatever doesn't work to complete the project. Don't run any PC on XP Professional without 512 Mb of Ram and preferrably 1 Gig. You won't believe the difference and less than 512 Mb will choke it.

Cabling is easy as long as you have the right jacks and plates and wal boxes. (No special tools kind). Leviton, Belden, etc makes products for homeowners to wire their houses. Use Cat 5 or Cat 5e

I think what you are looking for is a quality audio card for your analog testing with a DAC/ADC. Also maybe software for that purpose. A lot of the guys here can help you with that decision.

Hide this!Advertise here!