getting my laptop operational?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a FYI on routers and cables. A lot of newer routers/switches will accept standard and crossover cables and use them as either or. Say you want to connect your PC to the router but all you have is a crossover cable; the router will automatically switch to use the crossover as a standard cable.

I believe Netgear calls theirs "Auto Uplink", but this feature isn't specific to just Netgear products.

Andrew,

Why don't you move closer to any one of us who can help?

I will help only if you get AOL Instant Messnager or Yahoo Messanger and we communicate that way. IT is like being in your own little VPN chatting (or voice and sometimes video) like you are the only two computers on the internet. It is the next best thing to one or all of us being there. And quite faster and better than the way this transpired over the past week.

Before you build a PC with scraps, make the committment to purchase whatever doesn't work to complete the project. Don't run any PC on XP Professional without 512 Mb of Ram and preferrably 1 Gig. You won't believe the difference and less than 512 Mb will choke it.

Cabling is easy as long as you have the right jacks and plates and wal boxes. (No special tools kind). Leviton, Belden, etc makes products for homeowners to wire their houses. Use Cat 5 or Cat 5e

I think what you are looking for is a quality audio card for your analog testing with a DAC/ADC. Also maybe software for that purpose. A lot of the guys here can help you with that decision.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.