getting my laptop operational? - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2007, 03:06 PM   #191
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... that Tylenol works better than Advil for my headache!
it is the opposite for me Mac users need not apply!

The last box store pc I bought - maybe 6 years ago was a Compaq. I was having lots o trouble and reinstalling from the HD backup partition was no help. It was corrupt as well. I requested a complete copy of the OS from Compaq (after all, I paid for it!). They sent me a 3 disk set free of charge. Regardless of how you come to a solution - I suggest insuring you have a full CD copy of the OS that you paid for. If your backup is on a hidden partition, something could happen to it.

-all IMHO
Old 31st August 2007, 03:12 PM   #192
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

I build them myself to, for some reason it is easier than the problems from the manufacturers. I did however order one for my mom from a place that builds custom gaming computers in CA (CyberpowerPC, I recommend them highly). No she is not a gamer, in fact she has never even turned it on. I set it up for her in April.
Old 31st August 2007, 03:27 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I build them myself to, for some reason it is easier than the problems from the manufacturers.
Ya,

Soon after buying the Compaq I tried an experiment. I built a PC from scratch -same HD, same video, same memory but in the scratch built one I used an Asus motherboard.

The difference was night and day! The scratch PC is smoother running, more reliable, and faster. I swear the mobo makes a big difference.

Too bad the laptop choices are so limited. My company gives me a Panasonic Toughbook, If you can afford it I highly recommend it.

Good luck Andrew.
Old 31st August 2007, 04:27 PM   #194
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the Laptop is going back.

Thanks to all who helped and sorry for wasting so much of your time.

Now, I want to know if I can use a Laptop to gather data, eg when testing a power amp for distortion, PC scope etc?

What port/s should I be looking for?

The Tosh A120 has:
RJ45
USB * 3
RJ11 modem jack
ext monitor port
DC input jack
mic jack
headphone jack
SD card slot
PC card slot

It has not got a serial port nor a 1394 port nor a mouse/keyboard port.
Old 31st August 2007, 04:36 PM   #195
diyAudio Member

Andrew, Laptops no longer come with mouse/keyboard ports; USB only for those devices (or bluetooth). A serial port can still come in handy for legacy equipment. Usually the only new laptops that still have them are "business class" laptops like my Dell D620.

A newer Dell with all the relevant features......

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=bsd&cs=04
Old 31st August 2007, 04:53 PM   #196
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Andrew,

What happened? Did they determine something was bad?

PCs offer more options for using as test equipment. I don't know much about what Laptops have to offer so work with the guys that have them and use them for this purpose to find what will meet your needs. theAnonymous1 certainly can shed some light on the subject (even though we don't know who he really is).

PCs usually have all the usual interfaces and slots to add the ones you need for your additional testing interfaces like a good DAC sound card like "Emu" for instance. There are a few threads here about this. I suggest you make sure you understand it fully before deciding! Also get current info, I think SY had a bad experience with a manufacturer he used to like, which means things are always changing.
Old 31st August 2007, 05:26 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the helpline asked a few questions and got me to swap some cables around and read off a few screens. Not at all thorough.
As best he could determine he thought it had a faulty port/s.
The helpline did not offer any support for the USB link that was available.

The crux seemed to be that when the RJ45 was connected to the win98 desktop the LED on the LAN port was on. When connected to the modem/router the LED was off.
Old 31st August 2007, 05:31 PM   #198
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I have enough bits to "build up" a second PC to locate in the workshop.

Is anyone willing to dedicate sufficient time to talk me through that process?

I am certainly not transferring my main desktop to the workshop.

Once all the PCs are on XP, it might become feasible to activate my CAT5 wiring.
It's only used for telephone/broadband, burglar/fire alarm and door bell at the moment.

That will become a new thread, if there are volunteers.
Old 31st August 2007, 05:57 PM   #199
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
That will become a new thread, if there are volunteers.
I'll try to hang in as long as possible. I kind of bowed out of this fight early.

Too bad there is a huge ocean between us or I would be willing to donate some parts and some time.
Old 31st August 2007, 06:20 PM   #200
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT

The crux seemed to be that when the RJ45 was connected to the win98 desktop the LED on the LAN port was on. When connected to the modem/router the LED was off.

Would have thought that would point to the modem/router being at fault.

Hide this!Advertise here!