getting my laptop operational? - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2007, 03:02 PM   #101
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
just tried a straight CAT5 RJ45 connection,

the laptop to school desktop recognises a link.
reports
yes
yes

but in networks properties it says

limited or no connectivity - Firewalled.

Tried the crossover RJ45
reports
media disconnected

Hi Rfbrw,
yes, mine came with a 2pin cable that connected the 6position plugs (RJ11) into the 8position ports (RJ45) and it worked until the storm took out the link.
BT talked me through an alternative USB link to get the broadband link working again.

Now I want to get BOTH computers to link into broadband. BT's literature says twin operation is possible, but so far unsuccessful.
It does not even have to be simultaneous, either/or will do.
Old 27th August 2007, 03:58 PM   #102
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello Andrew,

I know a couple of us converged on you at the same time, pulling you in different directions with different tasks all leading to the same place.

I am using a logic ladder approach. Start with the computers and make sure everything is working on them FIRST. Then we can focus on and prove something is wrong with the Modem. Maybe it will be something we can correct or it will need to be replaced, but the steps will be completed and BT won't be able to ignore the fact that it is THEIR Modem and it doesn't work properly. The reason this is difficult is because there is more than one problem in different devices, so let's fix what we have control of first.

I just went through this with a friend's Dell. Everything you described has happened the same way with the Dell that has happened with your Toshiba. Same messages about the LAN port, everything looked as if it were fine but no connectivity. Lights, everything in windows said it was operational. Driver was there but in Network Properties, guess what it said... you guessed it, limited or no connectivity.

What fixed this was Uninstalling the LAN port drivers and reinstalling them from your driver disk or maybe while at school you can use someone's computer to download the latest driver to a media that your laptop can use (CD). Next thing after a restart, the gate was wide open and off to the outside world. Then I went to Dell and updated all the rest of the drivers.

I don't care what anyone else asks you to do, please do this first and then if it doesn't work, move on to the next suggestion. But at least rule the "NOT so obvious" fundamental stuff.

Good Luck and come back with a good report!

Regards//Keith
Old 27th August 2007, 06:42 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Here is the link to the LAN driver for your Laptop: http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.c...verLanguage=42

BTW, the IP address you are seeing is a Phantom address and that is what you will always get when something is wrong with the LAN port drivers. A good clue is the 255.255.0.0 for the Subnet Mask, It is usually 255.255.255.x.
Old 27th August 2007, 07:24 PM   #104
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I might be able to download the driver at school, their banned extensions list is extensive and may prevent this.
If I get it, then the memory stick will transfer it.

Maybe I can download it at home and Email it to my school account. That might bypass the filter.

I wonder if the file is on the emergency disc?
Is there a way to refresh a driver?
Old 27th August 2007, 07:43 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Hi,
just tried a straight CAT5 RJ45 connection,

the laptop to school desktop recognises a link.
reports
yes
yes

but in networks properties it says

limited or no connectivity - Firewalled.

Tried the crossover RJ45
reports
media disconnected

Hi Rfbrw,
yes, mine came with a 2pin cable that connected the 6position plugs (RJ11) into the 8position ports (RJ45) and it worked until the storm took out the link.
BT talked me through an alternative USB link to get the broadband link working again.

Now I want to get BOTH computers to link into broadband. BT's literature says twin operation is possible, but so far unsuccessful.
It does not even have to be simultaneous, either/or will do.

Looking at the rear of the '205, leftmost is the DSL connection, a 4 point socket where the line from the microfilter plugs in. To the right is the USB port and to the right of that is the 8 point ethernet LAN port. Does any of this tally with what you see ?

The address shown is the automatically assigned IP address provided by XP in the absence of a DHCP server. You could try to link the laptop to the desktop using the crossover cable and assigning both computers static IP addresses using the window shown in post#9.
Old 27th August 2007, 08:10 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Toshiba should have supplied a driver disk (CD) even though everything is already loaded on the laptop. You can use the driver from there too (it might still be the same one that you can download).
Go to:
Control Panel >
System >
Hardware >
Device Manager >
Click on Network Adapters >
Click on the integrated Network Adapter >
Click on Drivers >
Click the Uninstall Driver button.
Reboot Computer

It may say upon rebooting New Hardware found and ask for you to install drivers, If not:

Repeat the above procedure (It will have the Network adapter with a yellow Exclamation point meaning the drivers aren't installed) but instead of Uninstall Driver>
Click Install / Update Driver >

It will ask you where do you want the Laptop to look for the drivers. Make sure the Drivers CD is in the CD/DVD Drive and send it looking there or any memory storage stick.

Let me know how you do!

Regards//Keith
Old 27th August 2007, 08:35 PM   #107
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I'm not very helpful but I'm amazed how hard it can be to get a PC work in a network compared to a Mac.
Old 27th August 2007, 08:55 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Hey P-A,

Do you have to rub that in? OUCH. Yes this can be VERY painful!
But when we get this done, WE, the PC users are going out for a drink together! Alright you Mac users can come too but DON'T make fun of the flat spot on the front of our heads!

Regards//Keith
Old 27th August 2007, 08:58 PM   #109
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Ya, I don't even want to get involved with that part of things... usualy leads to too high coffee intake... and alot of curses...

PA... just browsed your site (still prefer the old one, as most parts work) hell those regs look nice... but I would have to sell a kidney...

Still nice to have something to strive towards, both in terms of understanding, and quality of construction...
Old 28th August 2007, 05:11 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrew,

How did you make out? Did you get a chance to reinstall the drivers?

Regards//Keith

Hide this!Advertise here!