getting my laptop operational?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Andrew.. accessing old possibly corrupt memory here...

Put the Xp cd in the win 98 PC... wait for the menu to come up... I think it should have network wizard on the menu... you should be able to run that.... maybe there was some other reason for my problems.... but I remember that it would go through the whole wizzard... everything looking fine... but wouldn't work

Booting up wit hXP harddrive would be the best option in my eyes... and yes.. data on 98 will be totaly accessable.... although programs would need to be reinstalled on the XP drive as all the registry settings would be in win98.... in other words data will be fine... but executables may need reinstalling...

Andrew,

Please let's stay focused on the Laptop port for now. Nothing else can happen until we gat past this problem. Put the CD from Toshiba in the Laptop DVD drive and go to "My Computer". The "?" drive for the DVD should indicate there is a CD in there. Click on it and it will show all the folders on the CD. If one of them is "Drvivers", we are ready to go! Follow the instructions a few posts back on how to re-do the driver.

As far as putting XP on your Desktop, What Processor is in it and how much memory do you have? How much disk space (total) is the HD and how much is available?

To put XP on the Desktop, there are two ways (recommended by Microsoft) to do it. First way is to buy the XP Upgrade disk that allows you to install it right over the Win98 and it will do all the conversion. This is an OK choice IF you have a clean system (no spyware, adware or viruses and ithe HD is optimized. The second way is with a regular install CD (not an Upgrade CD). You go into the Bios and set the boot up order to CD Rom first, HD second and save and exit. Put the CD in the drive, reboot and it will say for a couple of seconds "Boot from CD hit any key" and then hit any key. The CD will ask do you want to Install this or repair an installed version from Recovery Mode. You want to install it. But then it will ask to Format the whole HD. (this is where you lose everything). This is the best way to do this assuming you have everything of value backed up and stored somewhere else to reinstall after. The computer is most efficient when freshly installed and runs on the fewest processes alowing the processor to fly. After time this gets cluttered and less efficient and slows the computer. With an older Desktop, this might become painful and is why I ask what the Desktop Hardware is.

Nordic, (that crazy guy with all the cute cats and that makes him OK in my book), I think he recommended installing a New Install copy of XP right over Win98. That might not be a good idea and we will cover this later after you get that D^#ned LAN port operational!

Hi,
I'm back.
The laptop changes from unplugged" to "acguiring network address" to "limited or no conectivity, Firewlled" when plugging in the RJ45 to the desktop.
Something is being recognised.

Tried the USB from the modem to the laptop again, and setting up the wizard for new connection but it looks for cable connection to w98 or above "old PC" to transfer files and settings. I gave up when seeing that message.

The desktop is Athlon 2200+ CPU, 224MB ram but some is dedicated to the video, 80GB (66GB free) + 40GB (28GB free), cdrom, floppy, usb ports,

So you did the Lan Port Drivers? If not, do them first.

If so, turn off Windows Firewall.

Next we will look at the IP settings!

Dude, XP with that low RAM will choke that poor puppy. Unfortunately before doing anything you have to invest is some RAM. Get a gig of Ram DDR 400 PC3200 is cheap $80 USD, 45 pounds maybe? the 2200+ processor can be replaced cheap too. the 4000+ is $60 us here at Newegg and is probably the best value out and will smoke your 2200+. I went from a 3000+ to the 4000+ SanDiego Processor and it is significant!

OOPs
I lost that last message when I pulled the usb plug.
and had to retype after rebooting and scandisc.

I forgot an item.
the recovery disc has three >700MB files and two >120MB ISO Image files + a dozen or so others, but none look like driver files.

I already have a 2*1GB ordered and awaiting delivery for the laptop and 2*500MB for the desktop.
I don't have any games, so I suspect the speed you are talking about will not be noticed. I can type only so fast/slow.

With the Laptop on, insert that CD and do the procedure I explained a few threads back to reinstall the drivers. I am sure it is hidden on that CD. After uninstalling the existing one, when it asks where do you want the laptop to look, choose the CD. After it reinstalls, reboot and try to hook it up to anything LAN oriented (Ethernet). It will connect! (because I said so)

This one step has been JAMMING us too long! YIKES

KP11520 said:
Andrew,

Nordic, (that crazy guy with all the cute cats and that makes him OK in my book), I think he recommended installing a New Install copy of XP right over Win98. That might not be a good idea and we will cover this later after you get that D^#ned LAN port operational!

Nope I meant put a small/new drive in as drive C: install XP on it... and useing the old drive as a drive D: ....

If you can get hold of partitionmagic, you could use that to make a small bootable partition... (splitting your drive into two seperate drives).. then you can boot into either xp or win98...

I don't mind installing an OS over itself.. i.e. 98 on 98 or xp over xp... but have never had good results with a migrate and upgrade... for me its Format c: /x then install...

At least you are still with us....

Abu says hi... Cost me almost $40 at the vet on Monday... apparently he has tonsilitis.

And yes it is the Abu from the kitler website...

Attachments

• abu.jpg
    abu.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 70
I'm not worried about him just when a company or someone sets it up to use their network, I don't want to kill that configuration! But you don't have that!

Formatting the HD also gets rid of all the old garbage that chokes a Processor, That's the ONLY way as far as I am concerned!

Tonsilitis? Poor guy! I am glad you take good care of those guys!

Andrew, that statement about the VLANS shouldn't be what you are seeing so hold up! Let me go and review my steps and make sure they are complete!

Excellent
Click on the Intel PRO/1000 PL Network Connection

Then click on the Drivers TAB >
At the bottom click on the choice for "Uninstall Driver"

Do whatever steps are necessary to uninstall the driver, anything lost will be restored with the new drivers and since nothing has been specially configured there isn't anything to worry about.

Reboot and let me know when you get there!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.