Clio Sudio Measurement Software

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Clio Audio Measurement Software

No, the only contact I have is the audiomatica.com site, the same one that you have. I downloaded the brochure on the Firewire Audio Interface, and it lists "CLIO 8 System Software for Windows..." as available software, but does not provide a link to this software. I'm going to send an e-mail to Audiomatica. Stand by for the results.

Duhh … $1,798.00 is about five to ten times the price paid for Arta + a good (firewire) 192 kHz soundcard. And you still need to buy a good calibrated microphone.

In the end you don’t get much more functionality. But if you can afford it, why not … it is a well established system.

Cheers ;)

Duhh … $1,798.00 is about five to ten times the price paid for Arta + a good (firewire) 192 kHz soundcard. And you still need to buy a good calibrated microphone.

True, but the Clio box is not just another FW interface. The inputs are designed for measurements (relais for switching sensitivity) and it has an autocalibration function built in.
There is also the option of having the complete system certified.

Just out of curiosity: How did you calibrate your system?

Hi Gerrit,

It depends on what you want to do with such a system. For me doing DIY-audio (speaker building and amp building) I am not interested in absolute values but mainly in making progress.

For that, a system that is flat in frequency and has an easy to use user interface suffice. Calibration is fairly easy. Just measure the output voltage of the soundcard with a good DVM at about 100 Hz for reference. Or you can take the values from the manual of your soundcard for 100% output level. I myself use ARTA + M-Audio Transit card for portable work and ARTA + Audiophile 192 for stationary work. I never had the feeling that I needed more. That is to say in fact I sometimes need more but the next step then is an AP system 2 or a sine oscillator up to 100 MHz and an oscilloscope.

Recently I bought this calibrated microphone and now fiddling a microphone amp for it together that has repeatable gain settings from 0 dB to 50 dB.

Sure the Clio system is a nice system, especially the balanced inputs/outputs. But nowadays there are many reasonable priced good soundcards available with that like the M-Audio Audiophile 192. My experience anyway with whatever system is: You can’t do without a soldering iron to tailor things to your specific needs. :D

Cheers ;)

Pjotr said:
Hi Gerrit,

It depends on what you want to do with such a system. For me doing DIY-audio (speaker building and amp building) I am not interested in absolute values but mainly in making progress.

For that, a system that is flat in frequency and has an easy to use user interface suffice. Calibration is fairly easy. Just measure the output voltage of the soundcard with a good DVM at about 100 Hz for reference. Or you can take the values from the manual of your soundcard for 100% output level. I myself use ARTA + M-Audio Transit card for portable work and ARTA + Audiophile 192 for stationary work. I never had the feeling that I needed more. That is to say in fact I sometimes need more but the next step then is an AP system 2 or a sine oscillator up to 100 MHz and an oscilloscope.

Recently I bought this calibrated microphone and now fiddling a microphone amp for it together that has repeatable gain settings from 0 dB to 50 dB.

Sure the Clio system is a nice system, especially the balanced inputs/outputs. But nowadays there are many reasonable priced good soundcards available with that like the M-Audio Audiophile 192. My experience anyway with whatever system is: You can’t do without a soldering iron to tailor things to your specific needs. :D

Cheers ;)

Hi Piotr,

I have read the ARTA site and was impressed.
I have a few questions because I am in the process of buying.

How do you compare Praxis and ARTA except price of course
What do you think of EMU 0202 usb sound card which is considered as a good buy by Praxis.
Are you pleased with your calibrated microphone. How would you compare it with ECM 40 suggested in ARTA website or the Girardin ones by Praxis. If your microphone has a panasonic capsule, is the fet transformation suggested by Linkwitz at www.linkwitzlab.com implemented

Thanks

Jean-Pierre

If the new Clio8 is like the old Clio then it's got automatic input level switching and you can connect high voltages without damaging the input circuit . I guess it has it's own ADC .

ARTA on the other hand will work with your sound card . The sound card input however will only handle voltages that is usually about 1 volt or max about 1.6 volts rms .

Voltages much higher than this will kill the input circuit. So you need to attach an input circuit that can do level switching and protect the sound card input from gross overloads.

How the plots can be labeled correctly when the voltages are switched is to be determined. But it IS a much cheaper solution . The price you pay is the effort taken on your part to solve the sound card input switching and protection.

However you must check out the measurement features in Clio8 and compare them to ARTA which is still evolving and hence got lots of potential. Give them feedback about what you think needs to be implemented or problems sorted out.

I use both ARTA and the M-audio 'Transit' USB card at work for measurement and am very pleased with the combination. Fortunately I also have a proper (very expensive) capacitor microphone and pre-amp to feed it.

I see that the EMM8 microphone is 8mm diameter. As standard microphone calibrators are half-inch (12.7mm) diameter, it seems strange for them to produce a mic that you can't use a standard calibrator with. At least the cheap Behringer mic is the standard half-inch diameter.

JPV said:
Hi Piotr,

I have read the ARTA site and was impressed.
I have a few questions because I am in the process of buying.

How do you compare Praxis and ARTA except price of course
What do you think of EMU 0202 usb sound card which is considered as a good buy by Praxis.
Are you pleased with your calibrated microphone. How would you compare it with ECM 40 suggested in ARTA website or the Girardin ones by Praxis. If your microphone has a panasonic capsule, is the fet transformation suggested by Linkwitz at www.linkwitzlab.com implemented

Thanks

Jean-Pierre

Hi Jean-Pierre,

I have no experience with Praxis, neither with the EMU cards. You can try out ARTA for free for an unlimited time. The only limitation is that you cannot save and load files. However you can transfer the screen images to the clipboard. The M-Audio Audiophile 2406 PCI-card is really a good card for measuring and is sold for around $75.

As far as I can consider, the EMM-8 microphone uses the same Panasonic capsule as Linkwitz do. But it appears not being modified according to Linkwitz. It is well build and comes with a neat calibration file from 10 Hz to 20 kHz on floppy disk. It worked straight away when connected to the mic input of my Transit card (which has 2.5V mic power build in). However the sensitivity of the Transit card is a bit limited. I am working on a battery powered diy mic pre-amp with more gain.

Ouroboros said:
I see that the EMM8 microphone is 8mm diameter. As standard microphone calibrators are half-inch (12.7mm) diameter, it seems strange for them to produce a mic that you can't use a standard calibrator with. At least the cheap Behringer mic is the standard half-inch diameter.

It is a much better mic then the Behringer IMO and easier to power. You can get a calibration converter to for it from BFA. Anyway it is already neatly calibrated by BFA according to this (have a look around their site). For its price it is really a good choice, but SPL is limited to aprox 110 – 120 dB. That will suffice for most (diy) work.

Cheers ;)

originally posted by Ouroboros

You could make an adapter ring for an acoustic calibrator very easily.
All You`d need is a piece of tube or plastic or whatever that fits into Your 1/2" or 1" adapter piece. Drill a 8mm hole in it and Your`re done.

CLIO 8.5 USB

Greetings to all.

We have one CLIO 8.5 USB left in stock in Los Angeles. This is a brand new Factory system in sealed packaging. This is the last USB unit available and it was replaced by CLIO Fw.

If you are interested, simple email me at sales@e-speakers.com

Best to all,

Andre
andre.perreault@e-speakers.com
Los Angeles

I'm looking for a supplier for the CLIO 8 System Software for Windows by Audiomatica. I found a vendor for the Firewire Audio Interface, but not for the software to support it. Any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.