Listening tests - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2014, 07:05 PM   #111
gk7 is offline gk7
diyAudio Member

That's why I wrote "better" with " signs... Anyway it was more about the simplified and inappropriate way to cite Bertrand Russel in this context...
Old 25th January 2014, 07:45 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

Hard to believe that with some of the more advanced designers, or at least smart people who do understand the implementation of both cfa and vfa topologies that we don't have actual measured responses of these two type of amplifiers. From what I have read it is possible to make two very similar, almost exactly the same amplifiers with only the feedback circuit changed. This is where I would like to see actual measurements of not only FR but also any phase shifts and IM and other distortion products.

Perhaps this isn't enough to answer all the questions but at least we would have baseline analysis. Someone with an Audio Precision or similar equipment that could do this type of testing would be very welcome if they could give us some real information besides the anecdotal information that listening tests alone are not acceptable here as scientific proofs.

I think it is Ostripper who has done much with designs but I am not sure that any of that is beyond just sims at this point. Two real devices that can be compared at that level would go a long way to at least showing measurable comparison. Anyone capable of doing this for all of us?
Old 25th January 2014, 08:07 PM   #113
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
CFA character can be said "life like" but not really, depends on perspective. Tonally I tend to find it "wrong". Just like how tube amps sound like real but upon closer listening it doesn't have to be.
If tube amps tonality is "wrong" due to distortion, may be CFA system too. I guess that CFA is not an easier load than VFA for direct drive without preamp. I feel that I always need preamp for CFA.
Old 25th January 2014, 08:14 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Jay,
While it is well known the higher 2nd order harmonics are what attract many to tube amplifiers why would you think that a cfa would be similar to that? Is there any evidence that a cfa would have any higher harmonic distortion than a vfa amplifier of similar topology? Now if one had higher odd order harmonics that would go a long way to answering why people would prefer one amp over the other at least as regards what we are usually calling listener fatigue, at least that is something I am wondering about.
Old 25th January 2014, 08:51 PM   #115
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What I don't understand is why one could be "better" than the other. Nothing to prove I think.
Pretty simple, really. That which is better, is the one in a system context which provides more convincing sound. Not "nicer", not "ruthlessly revealing" - but the one that just gets 'out of the way', doesn't remind you constantly of its presence - it allows you to forget that there is a mechanical process taking place, which is attempting to recreate a musical event ... you "are allowed" to be in a place where that event is just happening, and that's all that matters at that moment ...
Old 25th January 2014, 09:15 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
Pretty simple, really. That which is better, is the one in a system context which provides more convincing sound.
That's a system context, where not only topology (CFA or VFA) is responsible with sound quality.

I like CFA more than VFA but it doesn't mean that CFA is better. Earlier in the CFA thread I suggest/challenge to build a CFA version of Greg's SKA gb150d for comparison. There's good reason there.
Old 25th January 2014, 09:23 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindhornman View Post
Jay,
While it is well known the higher 2nd order harmonics are what attract many to tube amplifiers why would you think that a cfa would be similar to that? Is there any evidence that a cfa would have any higher harmonic distortion than a vfa amplifier of similar topology?.
No, I don't mean similar in term of second order distortion like that. When I say "not an easier load for the source" it means the distortion comes from the source. But of course many CFA have high input impedance but I think that is strange.

About THD, I think only recently I have seen low number from CFA, but the added complexity is not so favorable either. But this extra low number has little or nothing to do with tonality.
Old 25th January 2014, 09:35 PM   #118
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

That's correct, Jay. Even extremely low harmonic distortion does not assure same sound and has not much in common with resulting sound. Also, added 2nd harmonic does not mean any "attractiveness" of the sound. 2nd harmonic can be easily added by software and one can easily evaluate the "attractiveness".
Old 25th January 2014, 09:59 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post
Also, added 2nd harmonic does not mean any "attractiveness" of the sound.
But I think you cannot deny that too many people are attracted to it. I think it is normal because it has the capability to mask a boring and clinical sound. Only a few people who have heard low distortion system that is even more enjoyable than fake sweet sound of second order distortion. But only a few, so. (May be there will be less debate about importance of this distortion if they understand the situation).
Old 26th January 2014, 07:40 AM   #120
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But I think you cannot deny that too many people are attracted to it.
Yes, they are. I assume it is a combination of more influences than pure 2nd harmonic distortion.

Hide this!Advertise here!