Funny audio gear adds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
This amusing advertisement in a 1974 issue of ETI caught my eye (for obvious reasons), so I had to scan it.
OK, it’s a tad risque, but hopefully the moderators here aren’t too prudish.

What ever happened to four channel.......errr sound.... anyway?? :)

Cheers,
Glen

(attachment removed by moderators)

I believe you will invoke the wrath of the moderators who will probably delete this thread and send you to the sin-bin for a few days.

This forum is US based and for various reasons that I will not go into lest I, too, invoke the wrath of the moderators, the majority of people are prudes who do not take kindly to their children logging into an audio forum and finding bared female breasts displayed with wanton abandon.

If your ad depicted a violent crime it would be acceptable, apparently, because some portions of the manual are taken more seriously (literally?) than others. Go figure!

I_F

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Geek said:

Given the majority of nudist camps being family oriented, I can't see this as being fact.

I don't think the majority of Americans are nudists though. :D
As a whole, though, I don’t think that the average American is as prudish and puritanical as many in the more ‘liberal’ parts of the western world perceive them to be. They just have a rather largish, far right minority with a strong political influence.

But isn't all this deviating a bit from the scintillating(?) topic of risque 70's HiFi gear adds?

I've come across a few Ampex add's and one for an upstart mob called 'Fearless Audio' (I think their add probably finished them though) in my old ETI collections which probably would be worth a scan too.......

Cheers,
Glen

Prudery has nothing to do with it as anyone who knows me will attest. But the realities of many cultures (not just the US! This is a world-wide forum- can you imagine some poor Iranian audiophile getting hauled off to jail for looking at pictures of naked women?) and our desire to keep a quasi-professional environment mean that we just can't allow certain sorts of pictures.

Nice hoots, though.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
SY said:
Prudery has nothing to do with it as anyone who knows me will attest. But the realities of many cultures (not just the US! This is a world-wide forum- can you imagine some poor Iranian audiophile getting hauled off to jail for looking at pictures of naked women?) and our desire to keep a quasi-professional environment mean that we just can't allow certain sorts of pictures.

Nice hoots, though.

Awweee......OK.

I guess I better not post the "Fearless Audio" add with the naked dude getting amorous with his amplifier then?

Cheers,
Glen

SY said:

In other words, the backwater religious fundamentalists win.

The sanitizing of forums such as this for their sake I find thoroughly revolting.

se

Steve Eddy said:

In other words, the backwater religious fundamentalists win.

The sanitizing of forums such as this for their sake I find thoroughly revolting.

se

Hrm,ya..me too.
But on the other hand,It is sort of inappropriate for a "public" forum.

Maybe the (intact) post w/pics could be moved to the "sin bin" for those of us who aren't easily offended? :confused:

I dunno..just a thought. :xeye:

Just realised that I've been thoughtlessly writing "add's" instead of "ad's".

You still don't have it correct. Have you thought of operating a fruit stand?

So, where do you draw the line? I'm with the moderators. There's no shortage of nekkid wimmin on my computer, so I don't need any on an audio forum.

John

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
DigitalJunkie said:

Hrm,ya..me too.
But on the other hand,It is sort of inappropriate for a "public" forum.

Maybe the (intact) post w/pics could be moved to the "sin bin" for those of us who aren't easily offended? :confused:

I dunno..just a thought. :xeye:

Yikes! The controversy is growing.

It really was only a low quality, grainy black and white advert from an electronics magazine, featuring a pair of uncovered breasts.

I almost photoshopped the potentially controversial bit’s out with black squares before posting it. Perhaps that would have made it acceptable? :D

BTW, do you guys have National Geographic magazine / television in the US??????

Cheers,
Glen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.