Did it happen with anybody here? Failed PCBs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm pretty frustrated as I made a nice development board to work with some SMD microcontrollers on Eagle, and the PCB manufacturer did **** ...

I worked on it so much, trying to figure out what could be wrong, so many nights, weekends, days... How could I expect that the PCB from a "professional" manufacturer could be the problem?! Almost 20 days do find it out... Imagine how much I've burned my brain !

Many short circuits to the ground, failed tracks... And this crap wasn't cheap at all ! I spent 1.100 reais on it, almost 550 usd, + the microcontrolers, and the soldering service. The whole thing was about 2000 reais, so 1000 USD. Pretty expensive ! :rolleyes:

Anybody here has ever experienced a failed PCB ? :apathic:

God... :cannotbe:

Did you follow all the design rules specified by the manufacturer? Did you request a 100% electrical test on the bare pcb?

PCB faults are not uncommon - just that usually you don't see them because they are weeded out by the pcb manufacturer (but you need to ask them to test!)

I haven't had a bad PCB in decades. I remember fighting with holes that weren't quite plated through, shorts and opens, but quality lately has been good from the people I use. That doesn't mean they can't have a bad day, or that maybe you did things in the layout that were prone to problems. I'd definitely go back to the manufacturer and have the job redone. If they're any good, they'll acknowledge the problem and redo it for free.

I've had shorts between traces, a few open or damaged traces, and very rarely a big splotch of unetched copper. One board which has been bought in several batches from the same manufacturer has had open vias so often that it's the first thing I check for when I find a fault. I suspect that's because the via hole diameter is too small, but the manufacturer should recognize that and warn me if they can't do those reliably.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.